Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Not Quite New Plants

 
I saw a LOT of plants on this recent trip. Didn't get good pictures of way too many of them. Sigh. We may get to plants that were new to me, and even mystery plants. But tonight I'll give you three that were not exactly new, but they are notable for some reason.

Although you might not think these little leaves are much to look at, this is actually quite a rare plant. This is only the second time I've seen it, and I have yet to see it in bloom. It doesn't even have a common name. It's Sullivantia sullivantii. It grows on cool, moist vertical limestone walls. Both times I've seen it were in Ohio. It's threatened or endangered in Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and Tennessee.

sullivantia

This next one is not quite new, because I've seen it before but only in botanical gardens, never in the wild. It's a close relative of the familiar Jack-in-the-pulpit. This is green dragon, Arisaema dracontium. Here, it's first coming up.

green dragon

And fully open.

green dragon

Finally, this one is pretty familiar, and I've seen it in the wild a lot. However, I've never seen the blossoms outside of a botanical garden. It's not rare, it's just that I'd never been in the right place at the right time before. This is wild ginger, Asarum canadense, and you'll notice how the blossoms are hidden beneath the leaves, right down on the ground.

wild ginger

They are beautiful!

wild ginger

In other news: I spent the whole day doing basically two things- getting the accounting from book sales on this trip recorded and reconciled with my inventory, and getting things out to Shagway Arts Barn for the summer and attending a training session there.

See Jack in the Pulpit
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


1 comment:

Ann said...

All three are new to me.