Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, May 17, 2018

Fern Fun- Spleenworts

 
One of these ferns was brand new to me, and I now know (barely) enough ferns to recognize that I didn't know it. We saw this one in Ohio, at Rock House. This is lobed spleenwort, Asplenium pinnatifidum. In ancient times, it was believed that these plants had a medicinal use for treating the spleen. Wort just means plant.

lobed spleenwort growing on a rock wall

The sori (spore cases) on the backs are clumpy and long.

lobed spleenwort sori

Also on this trip, in Alabama, I saw Ebony Spleenwort, Asplenium platyneuron. This one isn't new to me, but now I think I might be able to be sure of this one, as compared to some similar ones. The fertile frond sticks up straight while the sterile ones recline on the ground.

ebony spleenwort fertile fronds

The sori are arranged in nice even chevrons. Rachis (stem) is completely dark.

ebony spleenwort sori

Just to round things out (and because I needed to get all these on my nature picture pages), here is Maidenhair Spleenwort, Asplenium trichomanes, from the Catskills of New York from a few years ago. It also likes rock walls and has dark stems. Notice the pinnae (leaves) are similar to northern maidenhair fern (but not related).

maidenhair spleenwort growing on rock

The sori are in little bars.

maidenhair spleenwort growing on rock

It takes a long time to add photos to my nature pages, but it's one of my ongoing goals. I'm up to 1055 pictures there.

In other news: more bookwork, laundry, putting stuff away, but all on my time. Woke up slowly, savoring the quiet and coolness. Lovely!


See Northern Maidenhair Fern
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


1 comment:

Ann said...

I've always loved the look of ferns