Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, March 18, 2024

Best Photos of June 2022

   
Here are the best of the pictures I took from June 2022. I'm still working on processing trip pictures.

From June 2022, during the big hike, I've chosen what I think are the 10 best pictures to share. Sunshine makes for more nice pictures, but I still have a ton of marginal ones, or just shots that prove I saw something but won't win any kudos.

I am saying these pictures are "best," not because they necessarily tell the story best, but because I think they are simply the best actual photographs. I've left them full size, so you can click on them and see them larger. That always makes photos look better. Two are cropped a bit, and one had the color saturation increased a tad.

I spent June finishing New York and Vermont, and then drove to North Dakoa and started home.

These are arranged chronologically... it seemed to work.

One of the most beautiful places for views on the NCT is Jones Hill. It's not very big by Adirondack standards, but it has the proverbial location, location, location. This is the view to the south with possibly Beech Hill visible across the valley.
south view from Jones Hill Adirondacks


And chronologically, only 20 minutes later, the view to the north from the same Jones Hill across the Blue Ridge Range (the one in the Adirondacks) in some mist. Honestly, it's kind of hard to not show ten photos all from that hill!
north view from Jones Hill Adirondacks


At Crown Point, NY, on Lake Champlain, this is the Colonial era fort with the new (2011) Lake Champlain Bridge in the background. I like the contrast of shapes and time periods.
Crown Point Fort with Lake Champlain Bridge


You know I'm a sucker for texture pictures. How about going from lush, green eastern mountains to dry cracked mud in North Dakota?
cracked mud


This is some shallows in an arm of Lake Audubon. I liked the various colors of earth and plant material.
Lake Audubon


I believe I have a few nice pictures of yellow-headed blackbirds from the summer I worked in northern Illinois, but I've hardly seen one of them since then. Not a spectacular picture, but decent.
yellow headed blackbird


As you may remember, North Dakota was wonderful for seeing bird life. That doesn't mean I got great pictures, because I'm only a photographer of opportunity. I don't stand around waiting for the right light and spending 30 minutes creeping up on a bird or hoping it will move its head just an inch. Nevertheless, this is the best picture I've every gotten of a northern shoveler duck.
northern shoveler


A thirteen-lined ground squirrel was straining to see far ahead from his burrow. It's not the best picture I've ever taken of that critter, but I like the depth in the shot. It almost looks 3-D.
thirteen lined ground squirrel standing on burrow


This is just some ordinary grass along the canal, but I like the lighting and contrast of textures.
grass against water


Finally, this is one of my favorite shots from North Dakota. I just like the shapes defined by the fence and the hill.
fence in grassland


Well, I counted wrong. I had one more texture picture, but I think it's not as good, and I've been trying to limit these collections to ten.

In other news: I edited and wrote. What else is new? I must be making progress, the word count goes up.

See Best Photos of May 2022

4 comments:

Ann said...

All wonderful photos. I like the last one best. The lines of the fence make it very interesting.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Crown Point! Our Dada says he and Mama were there many, many years ago. He says he doesn't remember that bridge in the background but he may have not been paying attention ..."

The Furry Gnome said...

Great selection of pictures!

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- thank you!

Lulu- it was a different bridge until 2009. That one was pretty too, in a different way, but they added a pedestrian walkway to this one!

Stew- thank you, buddy!