Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, March 10, 2024

Long After Afterthoughts

 Quite a few people have asked me how my body held up to the year-plus of intense hiking. I may be ready to give a decent answer to that question. I'll give you the bottom line first. I held up pretty well, but I am 75 not 25, so I didn't get off scot-free. (And I have to tell you that expression comes from Scandinavian languages where scat is a tax, so scat (scot) free is to not have to pay a tax.) It has been embarrassing to admit most of this, but I also don't like that people think I'm Superwoman. So here's to honesty.

For one thing, there is the weight issue. I was at a weight I can tolerate when I started, about 118. By the time I got to Maine Junction, half the hike, I was down to 107.
hiker at Maine Junction


I felt great. I looked great. But several of my friends had complete hissy fits and said I was much too thin. So I tried to eat more. Of course I succeeded. I like food. Besides, do you know how little an old, small female can eat? Not much, the answer is not much.

At home, I gain weight if I eat more than 1400 calories a day. Small, old people also don't burn as many calories. Only 60 per mile of walking. Seriously?! I wanted it to be a hundred, but no... So at 15 miles a day, that lets me add 900 calories. Now we are up to 2300 calories allowed. That's only one dessert more than what the goverment says is a normal diet. *groan*

When I took the break from January-March 2023, I was a complete wreck. I could hardly move. Everything ached and I was as stiff as a board. My balance wasn't great, for me. In March, I finally got back up to walking more than two miles at a time, and in April, I went back to the trail, averaging about 10 miles a day. Apparently my metabolism didn't think it had been boosted, because it must have slowed right back down. I gained weight like crazy, topping out at 132. I am not proud of this.

After I finished the hike in June, I knew I had to work on the stiffness. I've done exercises off and on in my life to tone particular things, but I've never had to do them just to function. This was a real kick in the chops, and a wake-up call. I started trying to eat less. I succeeded at eating less, but the body was not giving up any pounds. Uh-uh.

In September, Marie and I hiked, keeping daily mileages between 7-10 miles. I also hiked every day at the Celebration, as some of you who were there know. The body was OK, but not great. I hoped this wasn't going to be the best I could come back to.

And then... something happened on the way home from Vermont. Three days in the car and/or sleeping in several beds that were too soft sent my back into total hysterics. Sciatica, generalized aching. And I was still pretty stiff. The exercises were helping. In June, I could not even touch my toes- a first in my entire life. By September, I could touch the toes again, but it hurt.

So I decided to ramp up the exercising. By then I was back to a reasonable energy level, instead of totally beat. I kept telling people that I was still in recovery, but hoped I could get even closer to what I consider normal.

I was very careful on the January trip. The longest drive was 6 hours, and if the bed offered was soft, I slept on the floor. I walked some at least every couple of days. It worked! No hot back issues.

Here's what I think was going on. Walking is great exercise, but doing nothing but that for a year probably resulted in serious muscle imbalances. This creates huge problems when some groups of muscles are strong and others are weak.

My core was weak, my hips were tight, tight, tight. My hamstrings were like piano wires. So, I collected a bunch of exercises to work on all those problems, and I rotate through them so that I don't have to do the same ones every single day (boring).

My balance is better. My back is better, although still twingy. My core feels strong again. I'm up to 20 pushups, 1 min 20 sec of planking, and all the other stretchy things, which mostly feel good to do.

The weight? Sigh. Losing is really hard for me. It seems like I'm eating practically nothing. I'm only down to 128. I'd really like to get back to 118.

I know that at 75, I'm not going to do the Allegheny 100 (a personal mileage challenge), or the Michigan Triple Crown (60 miles in 3 days). But I hope to be able to keep hiking with roughly 10-mile days. I'm back up to 7.6 as my longest day since September without much pain. I think I'll get there.

My knees, particularly the left one that wasn't great when I left home, will never be quite as good, but I can tolerate them.

How's the flexibility? Hands flat on the floor! How's the balance? You know the joke, right? I can put on my underwear without falling over!
person touching toes


In other news, I edited, wrote 1094 words, and got some groceries. I'll be without a car all week while mine is being fixed, so I needed some things.

See Halfway

8 comments:

doug said...

We would welcome you to the A100 you are allowed to do 25, 50 or 75 also.

Bill Courtois said...

I don't often comment, but this was a great write-up. I witnessed many transitions in your appearance. Yes. I think... you were in rough shape by the end of 2022 when you hit the East U.P. snow. When you restarted hiking in the spring, you started out rough but rapidly improved. I thought you appeared very well in June and even better in New York. Just my distorted opinion. Lucky You.

Ann said...

You may not be Superwoman but you've accomplished way more at your age than most. Keeping the whole body happy is smart though.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "I am pretty sure our Dada can't bend over and put his hands flat on the floor! I don't think he could even bend over far enough to reach the floor! Flexibility is not his strong point, despite being surrounded by cats ..."

The Furry Gnome said...

Thanks for the honesty. Being paralyzed, my frustration is both nerve pain and the 'para belly' Without large muscles moving I hardly burn any calories at all. And the pain is not to bad one day, but horrible the next. Mature years bring aches and pains to all of us!

Sharkbytes said...

Doug- I really can't travel all that way for only 25 miles.

Bill- you know better than anyone else.

Ann- yes, I sure need to work on that

Charlee- they tell me guys tend to be less flexible than girls... or cats

Stew- I'm really so sorry.

Katie W. said...

The body is wonderous thing and will always communicate when something is "off". Regardless you should be damn proud of yourself in every stage. Inspiration for this 34 year old semi-couch potato!

Sharkbytes said...

Katie- haha! Get off the couch!