Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, March 12, 2024

So Early! Too Early?

 It's quite a shock to find things blooming even before the middle of March. The rock garden has a few goodies. Best is the pasqueflower. They seem to be pretty happy on my hill. Last year, one came up in the yard, and if it comes up again, I need to move it. This isn't quite open, but it has at least two or three buds.
pasqueflower


There is a sad little puddle of snowdrops.
snowdrops


Keep in mind that finding most of these this year is a surprise. I did know the pasqueflower was alive because its leaves last longer, but the rest of these plants had died back completely before I started cleaning up the rock garden on June 2, 2023.

At one time, I had a lot of these mini-iris in various colors. Hopefully, a few more of them will pop up now that the garden is cleaned up better.
mini iris


And this was a complete surprise. These crocus showed up in the yard. These have to be remnants of bulbs my mother gave me 40 years ago. Maybe I can get them marked so I can move them to the rock garden. I also used to have about 10 kinds of crocus in the rock garden, but I'm not sure if any of them have survived.
yellow crocus


The troubling thing about seeing these flowers so early is that although it's fun, even though the year has been so mild, I'm not sure we are really at spring yet. Although these in bloom are ones that can tough it out if the weather gets nasty, other plants are coming up that may not handle a cold snap as well.

In other news: I wrote a little bit, and did a bunch of stupid errands. This meant walking to Scottville. I got all ready to go and realized my car is in the shop! Duh. No problem, but I felt a little dumb. Bell choir practice. And I have a sore foot from a toe episode on yesterday's hike. I think I reinjured a place I jammed on the big hike. But I iced it, and it's better.

Total miles hiked in 2024: 153.8 of which 45.4 is North Country Trail.

See Rock Garden Reds- last rock garden post from last fall

3 comments:

Ann said...

Mother nature confuses these plants and gets them to bloom before they're ready.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Ooh, Dada stubbed his toe on one of the dog gates the other day while he didn't have shoes on. This is why he wears slippers around the house! Well, that, and he doesn't want to stop on any undetected cat hairballs."
Charlee: "Are you accusing us of leaving hairballs around? I'm not sure if that's slander because it's dialog or libel because it's written down but either way you'll be hearing from our lawyer."
Lulu: "You can't sue me if it's true."

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- If some other things get to coming up, I might cover the garden if we get a hard freeze

Lulu- stubbed toes can be really awful, hairballs ditto, but maybe less painful.