Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, March 16, 2024

Early Rock Garden Color

 Although it's much more subtle than later growth, I like the early colors of patches in the rock garden.

This is the Sedum takesimense 'Atlantis' that is variegated green and white as it gets larger. This is going to be one of my favorite rock garden plants because look how bright it is even in the very early spring. And look! It has a little white crocus friend. It's probably the variety 'Blue Ice.' That's what I had planted somewhat in the same location.
Sedum atlantis


The pasqueflower is in its prettiest phase. Still haven't seen the one in the lawn. Maybe the grass is making it harder for it, but it did flower last year because I found the leaves and seed pod. I used to have red ones too. They are all Pulsitilla vulgaris, but the red ones were a variety called 'Papageno.' Maybe the red ones reverted, maybe they died.
purple pasqueflower


I am as interested in these early colors of the plants as I am in full summer. I'm pretty sure this Sedum is one of the S. spurium 'Dragon Blood.' However, that's not what I have recorded in that space. I don't have a note of any sedum at all in there. But it's been there quite a while- well established. Just a record-keeping failure, I'm sure.
Dragon Blood sedum


And finally for today, this is one of my purchases from last year. I'm delighted to see it looking so happy. This is Sempervivum sp. Red Heart. All the babies sprout from long stolons instead of directly from the base of the mother.
Sempervivum Red Heart


I'm going to have to get my fencing up soon if things keep waking up.

In other news: I edited, I wrote, I walked to the library.

Total miles hiked in 2024: 166.6 of which 52.8 is North Country Trail

See So Early! Too Early?

3 comments:

Ann said...

Nice to see it all starting to come back to life.

The Furry Gnome said...

Beautiful Pasqueflower!

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- it is, but I'm worried that some things are sprouting too soon

Stew- I really like it