Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Two Little Surprises

 My friends are gone. They are back in New York, but not home yet. I took on some of the smaller tasks on my work list. I managed to do 10 of them, walk to town, and weed in the flower garden a little bit. That's where I found the two surprises.

First is babies of that one-dollar marigold from last year. They are tiny and don't even show up very well. But they do convince me that if I could get marigolds really going in that space it would be a nice late-summer addition. Five tiny flowers.
marigolds


The other surprise is a wild plant that shouldn't even be here. I met it on the big hike in Minnesota and it was new to me. However, this almost has to be a small specimen because of the strong anise smell when you crush a leaf. Here is the one in my flower bed. It's Anise Hyssop, Agastache foeniculum.
small anise hyssop


Here's what a full-grown one looks like. Quite nice. Actually I hope it stays and spreads a bit. It's native to the US, just not usually here.



I have some reading I have to do before tomorrow night. I think I'll get busy on that.

Miles hiked so far in 2024: 378.3.

to Scottville and home 2.5 miles

See The $1 Marigold

3 comments:

Ann said...

Those marigold flowers are small.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Anise? Uh-oh. A licorice plant. Dada, stay away from it!"

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- miniscule!

Lulu- is Dada allergic?