It was a really nice winter day today. There was a little bit of fresh snow on top of the packed stuff, and snowshoeing was fun!
I know you're just dying to know what those words mean, right? (I'm sure most of you don't care one little bit, but hey, I like new words, and it's my blog.)
the turbulence near a propeller
- just no, I made it up
b. political propoganda- a word compounded from agitation and propaganda, first used in Russia, to denote all sorts of writing and art forms with an explicitly political message.
a mine tunnel
- an adit is a horizontal mine tunnel
- properties or props, no agitation required
a. one unit of a mosaic- can be stone, metal, glass, tile, etc. The plural is tessarae
a type of lace
- nope, another made up answer
a type of pottery
- that's terra cotta
- the name Theresa means late summer, from the Greek
a unit of currency
- that would be a dinar, a basic monetary unit in several Arabic countries
alternate spelling of diner
c. a morgue worker- an autopsy technician, from the German leichendiener or corpse servant
a particular type of hardware like a nut
- made up because of similarity to tool and die
a sac of fluid
- that's bursa- in your shoulder or knee. Where you get bursitis
- you must be thinking of bourgeois
c. a type of stock exchange- yes, particularly in Europe
part of an insect's anatomy
- just made up
a type of jewelry
- see b.
depiction of a royal name
- that's a cartouche, particularly in hieroglyphics
a conquered king
- you are thinking of "shah mat" the king is dead, the origin of the word checkmate in chess
d. a shawl made from the hair of Tibetan antelopes- yes, and the hair is so rare and difficult to spin that it's only made by certain monks, and is actually illegal to own
- you mean friable
a type of wetland
- sounds like vly
c. a low vocal register- a way to produce lower sounds than in the normal vocal range by relaxing the vocal chords and allowing air to bubble through them
Hope you had a little fun, at least wondering if some of the words were familiar.
The day also ended with a pretty sky. Nothing like the one two years ago.
Work tonight, and tomorrow... fun to come! Stay tuned.