Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Seven More Arches

 September 16, 2019

I haven't looked very hard for the notes from this trip since I have so much to do, but our goal was to visit all the arches in Red River Gorge. I think there are 17 of them. We did manage it, and there was an interesting variety. We went to seven of them on this day.

I'll start with the most spectacular. In fact, this may be my favorite of the whole trip. It's a solid pillar of rock on one end and just a little balance point on the other. This is Sky Bridge, and you walk both on top of it and underneath it.
sky bridge kentucky


The view from the top.


Hensen's Arch is totally different- just a little double chimney with some water flowing in. You could go down inside it.
Hensen's arch kentucky


Look down at the end of those half moons that aren't quite arches. The last one IS an arch. This is Hidden Arch. Yes, it's small.
hidden arch kentucky


This one was medium sized and called Silvermine Arch.
silvermine arch kentucky


Angel Windows was fun- it's two arches at an angle to each other. Just person size.
angel windows arches, kentucky


It's easy to figure how this one got it's name- Whistling Arch. Although we didn't hear it whistling.
whistling arch kentucky


As if that wasn't enough, we also went to Rock Bridge, so named because there is water flowing under it. I guess that's not terribly common. Most of these are made by wind erosion.
rock bridge kentucky


In just under 8 miles, we took in 7 arches. I also got what I think is one of my best wildlife pictures- a fence lizard eating a grub or caterpillar of some kind.
fence lizard eating a grub


In news from today: I worked really hard and spent a block of time on each of my projects that have to be completed in one week!

See Whittleton Arch and D. Boon Hut

No comments: