Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, October 5, 2026

Sheltowee Trace- Day 19- Cumberland Falls

 I guess the outstanding feature of the day was reaching Cumberland Falls. It's impressive.
Cumberland Falls


But frankly, we were so tired by the time we got there that it almost didn't matter. The trail had much more elevation change than FarOut seemed to indicate.

Bark Creek was actually fun, but it took a long time to navigate it safely. It's a valley filled with boulders and you have to navigate across them!
Bark Creek


Devil's Creek was ditto, but easier.

There was a lot of impressive rock work along the way today. Building rock stairways like this takes skill and time and muscle.
rock staircase


At Dog Slaughter Creek there was a good bridge! We were not sad. There must be a story that goes with that name.
Dog Slaughter Creek Bridge


We kept getting little hints of the Cumberland River. Although we were following it all day, there weren't many good views.
Cumberland River


The trail kept going through interesting rock places. This one is novel for sure. The two rocks on top are just balanced!
rocks balanced over trail


We went by a sheer rock face that has to be over 100 feet high. We went up and down and up and down. The trail has had some damage just inside the Cumberland State Park border and we bushwhacked a bit. That is not fun in fallen trees and rhododendron.

We were in mega poison ivy with no way to avoid it. I've showered, but I don't have enough hiking clothes to change every day. Sigh.

Generally, the footing was awful with lots of rocks, and the benching has eroded so it's very narrow with too much outslope.

Miles walked in 2026: 525.7
Miles hiked Sheltowee Trace: 197.8

Sheltowee Trace, Kentucky. Bee Creek Rd to Cumberland Falls Visitor Center. 10.6 miles (and it took us 8.5 hours. Ugh)

See Day Off- Lin and Joe

6 comments:

Ann said...

Sounds like a rough day but the scenery sure was good. Definitely would want to know how that bridge got it's name.

Carol said...

I've been to Cumberland Falls and really enjoyed it.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Java Bean: "Ayyy, Bark Creek sounds like my kind of creek! Dog Slaughter Creek not so much ..."

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- I'm glad I had been here before. I didn't feel the pressure to take tons of good pics

Sharkbytes said...

Carol- it's a great place

Sharkbytes said...

Bean- I know! Scary name!