Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Shining Path

No, I'm not joining the Peruvian Communist Party. It just seems like the best title for today. I just couldn't stand another day without a walk, so I put on my boots, took the ski poles for stability, and just post-holed around my trail.
The sun has just reinforced the glazing on top of the ice. Even Maggie had trouble walking whenever the way was not level. Little pieces of ice that broke away on every step skittered down any little slope sounding like an army of tap dancing mice.

You can see how thick the icy crust is by looking at a broken footprint.

But this is somewhat interesting. A rabbit and a mouse both headed for the shelter of a bush. Observing the tracks beyond the picture told me that the mouse made the journey first, the rabbit second.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

BBRRRRR! Makes a beautiful photo, but it makes me cold looking at it!

Rita T. said...

Yes, the planning of menus is the worst! My problem is having enough money to stretch it.

The pictures are beautiful. We had a bit of ice even way up here in Northern Michigan. It's pretty but treacherous.

na said...

beautiful pictures...but I agree it makes me cold just looking at them!

Unknown said...

Hi Sharkbytes. I've now met Maggie. And enjoyed reading your blog. I'll try and come back. Why don't you join entrecard? Then I can't fail to come back.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi everyone- thanks for the comments. I think the pics look colder than it really was- in the 20's and not windy, so that wasn't so bad.

I joined Entrecard a couple of days ago. Thanks!

Sharkbytes said...

Rita- I am in Michigan- you are Michigan too?

Anonymous said...

It's not entirely different where we are in France! It snowed, somewhat unusually a few days ago, and it's been so cold since that there is no sign if it melting, except where the sun shines.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi A- who knew that an icy picture would receive so much attention. Funny, I never think about snow in France, but of course, it must. L'hiver, c'est bon! (Did I say that right?)