Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Ug-ly Words

 

OK, it was a pretty good day. Went skiing with our trail club in the morning and the snowblower came home from snowblower hospital (see smiling snowblower) in the afternoon,so I spent another hour clearing the mailbox.

Mostly I fooled around on the computer, which may or may not be meaningful depending on what I do with the stuff I was fooling with, right?

Anyway, due to the fact that I ran across one of the following words in a book yesterday, here’s a little question for you. Of the three-letter words which can be formed in English, and which end in “ug,” how many are real words (example “hug”). So the maximum would be 26 words. Is the answer 9, 10, 11, 12 or 13 ? Choose an answer before you continue.

Here are definitions of the real words in the list- make a list of the words that match them (go on, get a pencil and really try it!) No abbreviations.

Here’s our example again:
to affectionately squeeze someone = hug

Here we go:
to copy someone’s facial expressions =
a small, powerful boat =
an age of Hindu time =
a clumsy dolt =
slang for jail =
to knead clay until it is elastic =
a flaw or defect =
a cavity in a rock lined with minerals =
larvae or worm =
slang for a toupee =
understood =
a musty atmosphere =

So now you know that the correct number is 13. Here are the words in order beginning with the example: hug, mug, tug, yug, lug, jug, pug, bug, vug, sug, rug, dug, fug.

And how is that for a baker's dozen ug-ly words?

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!






4 comments:

Lin said...

I like the concept of your blog! It's good to know that I can stop here each day and find something good.

Thanks for visiting Duck and Wheel with String (my blog) today!

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Hi Lin! Yes, I actually remembered it, although I did to to take another look after you posted here. I like your animal pictures. Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

lug? That's a real word, is it not?

Sharkbytes said...

Uh, oh! I must have thought it was an I when I crossed it off my list. Of course it is! I'll fix the post right now. Good catch, A.