Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Can You Go Back Again?

 
Granny on Snowshoes

Loretta left for Alabama today. We sure had a good time with her. But before she left, she helped me do something I've wanted to for quite a few years. I'll explain.

My monthly newspaper column was due at noon today. I've been struggling mightily for a topic this month. So I finally wrote up 500 words last night, but it was terrible. Most definitely the worst, most boring column I'd written in the 4.5 years of this gig. After I went to bed, I got an idea. It had to do with snowshoes... and you will be hearing more about that in the next week or so.

So, first thing this morning, I wrote a funny, MUCH better offering, and decided to illustrate it with this picture of my grandmother on snowshoes. And now we come to the project Loretta helped me with. I still own the snowshoes that Granny is using in that picture, although they've been retired to my wall. They were made by Indians in Maine in 1910. Not only that, but I still own the snowpants and sweater that Granny is wearing in that picture. I've always wanted to recreate the photo. I couldn't match the trees. The originals are 800 miles and 70 years away.

Here's our attempt.

Joan on Snowshoes

Don't forget to enter the contest! Just have fun... don't be so serious about it.


See Varnishing the Snowshoes

6 comments:

RNSANE said...

Joan, that was such a great idea and I love both pictures!!! Your grandmother looks wonderful and so do you. I think you resemble her, actually.

rainfield61 said...

Sorry, I did not aware that.

I thought both of them are you.

Happy New Year.

rainfield61 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Duxbury Ramblers said...

What a wonderful photo of your Grandmother - she looks like she also enjoyed the outdoor life as much as you and yes I also think you look like her - peas in a pod :)

Ann said...

What a cool idea that was. And how awesome that you had the exact same snowshoes and clothes she was wearing.

Sharkbytes said...

Carmen- I do look like her sometimes. I look most like my uncle Jack (he was killed before I was born), Granny's oldest child

rainfield- hopefully, I'm a little thinner, although it's hard to tell under snowpants, haha!

Carol- she was quite the adventurer, for a woman of her era (born 1882)

Ann- I've had the clothes put away for a long time, thinking toward this project! I had to mend the sweater a bit, digitally, after taking the pic.