Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, December 13, 2010

The Pictures I Didn't Catch


snow covered branch

Now you can see more of the snow we got here. There is supposed to be more coming tonight. I was really good at taking pictures of things that were holding still, like this branch. However, between this picture and the next... "my" hawk flew low in front of the edge of the cemetery, and disappeared into the woods before I could get my mitten off, the camera adjusted and aimed...

snow covered branches

These bushes are growing on the bank in the cut for the railroad tracks. The heavy snow transforms them from stupid alien honeysuckle to a wonder of fluffy beads. From there, I continued over the hill, down the other side and turned away from the tracks. As I was framing the next picture, I heard the train.

I like seeing the train go by, but its sound was muted with all the snow, and I misjudged the timing. By the time I saw the train, the engine was past. I realized that it had a rotary snowplow on the front! I've never seen Marquette Rail (the line by our house) run one before. There was no way I could outrun the train to get in front of it again. I'll just have to hope to catch it for you another day...

cold winter sun

But the picture I was taking when I heard the train was this cold winter sun, barely illuminating the wind-scoured hill.

Yes, winter is here!



11 comments:

Lin said...

Oooooh, it looks COLD!! The blanket of snow is sooo pretty, but it makes me cold. :( Brrrrrr.

rainfield61 said...

Snow,snow,and snow.

If you got caught, you would be a snow white.

Rick (Ratty) said...

Having even a slim chance to get a picture of a hawk sounds good to me right now. I haven't seen one around here since spring. The snow all over the bushes and trees always looks so good. It sometimes feels like a shame it has to go along with cold.

Auntie E said...

Oh yes that is snow...Now I am sure you will get more, almost time for the Snowshoes.

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Joan I know what you mean about getting the camera ready, roll on spring I am looking forward to flowers that stay put while I get myself organised :)

Jackie said...

I love pictures of snow. Everything seems so quiet and peaceful. but, it does look very cold!
Jackie:-)

vanilla said...

It has been a rather "weak" sun, but it's face is brightly smiling on us today! Like the pix.

Ann said...

I often have the same problem with things moving much faster than I can focus.
The snow looks a lot like what we have here.

spinninglovelydays said...

The pictures are beautiful! Did you mean for them to have this haunting feel or is it just me being fanciful? :)

Sharkbytes said...

Lin- yes, it was cold today but that's ok. It's winter!

rainfield- but I'll never be caught! too fast... haha (besides, Snow White cleaned the house - no one would ever say that of me)

Ratty- I hadn't seen the hawk for weeks, so I was very happy

Auntie- Oh... I've had them out already. They help, even when the snow is fluffy.

Carol- flowers definitely stay put better!

Jackie- it IS peaceful. I hardly heard the train.

vanilla- we are supposed to get more sun this week. Should be pretty!

Ann- pretty much all the midwest!

Ivy- well, it was a little haunting because everything was quiet and muted.

RNSANE said...

You are so brave, getting out in all that snow!!! I have a nurse practitioner friend who lives in Alaska and they had a Polar Plunge event as a fund raiser for Special Olympics. They jumped into Goose Lake today in zero degrees! She still looked gorgeous in her red and white striped tights, Santa hat, and little red and white mini Santa dress! I don't think I would be out in zero degrees for any good cause. With my luck, my boys would be arranging my memorial service!