Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Smiles, Skis, and Squares

 
smiling friends

This is one of those horrid pictures where you hold the camera and point it at yourself. But we don't care, because we wanted a picture. This is a friend I haven't seen for a couple of years, even though she only lives about 25 miles away. Her name is also Joan. She stopped by with a basket full of treats, and we visited... just chatty stuff, but very nice to catch up.

ski tips
I've been skiing a lot this week. The conditions have been good for it, and I've been feeling a little bit more brave than last year. This fall, I finally found a path down the biggest hill that doesn't have a nasty bump in the middle. I got it mowed (so it doesn't have snagging berry canes), and it's the path you saw me riding a bike down at the end of I'm the Mountain Girl for You. I'm really not too good on skis, but I like it. Here's the hill with snow cover.

ski hill

granny squares
Finally, I set some goals for the day, and made them all. I completed a certain amount of work on the writing site Shared Reviews. I also needed to make significant progress on Loretta's afghan. I sort of bribed her into coming with the promise of a completed project. So, to have any chance of delivering on that I needed to crochet a whole row's worth of squares today. Here they are!

If you would like to see the directions for this afghan, I have published them at Spring Daisies Afghan

No kitchenhenge, and no eclipse... nothing but clouds in the sky. Those would have been very cool, but I have to take the gifts that are given.


if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


9 comments:

Julia said...

It is so nice to see friends you have not seen in a while especially this time of year. It's been quiet here and extra friends are always welcome!

I miss cross country skiing. Used to go all the time as a teen. Maybe when the kids are older we can get out there again. (5 hr drive to snow...)

rainfield61 said...

Wow! Both of you look alike.

Jackie said...

It's a great picture and I am glad you 2 got together.

Jackie:-)

betchai said...

i thought actually at first she is your sister, it always is good to see friends. saw your video, that was awesome. i love snowshoeing too, and i cannot downhill ski, not even on a sled, i tried once and i thought i gonna die :( thus i just go for snowshoes, just to explore more what is out there.

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Friends always make days special - glad you had a good day.

Ann said...

That's a great picture of the two Joans. Always good to get together with old friends.
I have never been on skis. I had a lot of friends who skied when I was younger and I always wanted to try it but never did. Now I would probably break something...lol
Like all your crocheted blocks, another thing I haven't done in ages.

spinninglovelydays said...

It's nice you and your friend had the chance to get together and catch up.
Skiing is something I want to try someday, although I have very little balance and coordination to speak of. :D
Have fun with the granny squares!

Sharkbytes said...

Julia- I just walk out my back door- perfect! You could drive for 2 days and come here.

rainfield- well, only that we're about the same age!

Jackie- thank you... it was very nice to see her.

betchai- well, you know I love snowshoeing too- anything off the couch, right?

Carol- It really is very nice to see friends. We should find ways to make it happen more often.

Ann- just start on flat novice trails and give it a whirl! I just learned about 6 years ago. It took me 2 years to get comfortable enough for it to be fun, but now I can do intermediate trails.

Ivy- get yourself over here where the snow is, and come fall down with me!

RNSANE said...

I wish I could find the picture of me when I was three years old, on my little skis, in the Alps in Austria. We were stationed there for three years and I was quite the daredevil back then. I don't think I've been back on skis since then!!

You look wonderful and happy with your friend. It's always nice to reconnect with old friends. Isn't it great the way you can do that, even if you've been apart for a long time.