Entries to Win Afghan


If you like my books, essays, etc. you might want to put your name on this private email list (no spam ever) for advance notices, coupons, and occasional freebies. Tell your friends too! Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Next issue will contain Chapter 2 of Dead Mule Swamp Druggist. Sign up, and don't miss out!"

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Something's on Time, but...


... as usual, it's not me.

Christmas Cactus bud

I just looked this up. This is one confused plant. Two years ago, I described it as an Easter Cactus... it bloomed in March. Last year, January 12. This year, it has decided to be a Christmas Cactus. The bud was on Dec. 13.

Christmas Cactus

Here is is today. But it has a secret. There is another bud! This will be the first time it's had two blossoms. I guess it likes being fed cooking juice from unsalted vegetables!


See The Christmas Cactus is On My Schedule for last year
See I Heard the Meadowlark for two years ago


8 comments:

rainfield61 said...

This poor flower is confused in such a way that who cares to be named.

Lin said...

Oh, that's funny! But who cares when it blooms as long as it does. :)

RNSANE said...

I am never sure about these "Christmas" cacti. I bought one once at the store, two weeks before Christmas, in radiant bloom. It had about six blooms, if I recall. the following year, it bloomed ( only three ) in February. Year three, it didn't bloom at all. Year four, it bore one pathetic blossom, sometime in mid December. I finally gave up on it and Christmas cacti altogether!

R.G. - Jan said...

Mine never blooms "on time" either but I love it just the same. It was originally my grandmother's plant. She died in the 80's and so it really means a lot to me. I call it "May" after my grandmother. Silly, I know but what can I say? :-)

Ann said...

I have one that I bought at the store I work at. I've had it for years and it always blooms twice a year. Once around Christmas and once around Easter.

humble opinion by sirrob said...

Lovely..!!!

It's almost end of the month again. And I know what will happen here. I am waiting for my next venture.

spinninglovelydays said...

Confused and pretty, like many ladies I know, lol

Sharkbytes said...

Hi everyone- sorry I didn't respond to your comments last night- I had a story due for the "Faith" contest, and had to get it done. I made it!

rainfield- other people tell me that they can bloom twice a year. Hopefully it will continue to be so confused that it will start to do that!

Lin- right! I'm just thankful that it blooms at all.

Carmen- they are much less regular than most people think.

RG- that's not silly, that's special. I'm glad it has stayed healthy for you.

Ann- Ah! you are one of those who gets to see it twice a year!

sirrob- yup... I'll have some little game.

Ivy- well, your comment wins for the funniest and most apropos I've seen in a long time. Well done!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin