Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Orange Wins by One


roasting carrots and tomatoes

Orange is the winner, but don't despair all you green lovers... You know I'll tell you more about the Christmas tree!

The orange project began by cutting up tomatoes, carrots, and red onions. Sprinkle with oregano and olive oil. Then it needs to spend 20 minutes roasting in a 400 degree oven. The aroma was heavenly! It didn't look much different when it came out of the oven.
soup in blender

Then it all went into a pot with a quart of vegetable stock, and simmered for 10 minutes. Finally, it took a quick whirl through the blender. Just enough to make it somewhat smooth, but still with small chunks.
carrot tomato soup

Place in bowl. Next stop.... stomach!

How was it? Well, I had hopes that it would be on my list of favorites- especially after that wonderful roasting smell. It's good. It's better the second day- after the flavors blend. But... it's not to die for.

Shhh... I'll tell you a secret. Loretta may be able to come for Christmas!



8 comments:

Loretta said...

hmmm...glad it smelled good at least. I think the green story will be more interesting. I see you are telling secrets now on your blog....

The Oceanside Animals said...

Woot! Go Team Orange!

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Can't wait for the opportunity to try this out on a cold day and it's well below freezing today.
Now for the green :)

rainfield61 said...

Shh... I won't tell Loretta about the secret.

Ann said...

well it sure sounds good. I can just imagine the aroma.

spinninglovelydays said...

Looks yummy, kind of like gazpacho, but we eat that cold. :)

Sharkbytes said...

Loretta- Sorry... I know cooking doesn't interest you much... me neither, you know, but the homemade stuff all tastes much better than the alternatives.

Dennis- Maggie agrees, and I gave her a spoonful of soup on her food.

Carol- I'm liking it much better on subsequent days. Green will be up soon.

rainfield- thank you! My secret flies around the world, and still it is hidden to all but the chosen few.

Ann- I think that wonderful smell got my hopes up too high for the flavor, which isn't bad at all, just not equal to the aroma

Ivy- well, I think this was definitely better than gazpacho, which I'm not thrilled about.

RNSANE said...

I think I would have to add onions and fresh chopped garlic to it...and, maybe a few jalapenos, for a little spice.