Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, May 11, 2012

Fiddleheads

 
One of my favorite parts of spring is fern fiddleheads. Here are a few:

Marginal Wood Fern Dryopteris marginalis
marginal wood fern


Cinnamon Fern Osmunda cinnamomeum
marginal wood fern


if you like this blog, click the +1  

8 comments:

Lin said...

Creepy AND cool! I like those too.

rainfield61 said...

That's an embryo.

D.J. Kirkby said...

When I lived in Canada we used to eat fiddleheads! They were yummy. In the 20 years I have lived in England I have never heard of anyone here eating them.

john bain said...

We have them too. Well named. Don't know what we call them in UK.

Donna B. McNicol said...

Still loving your photos!!

Ann said...

Is that some kind of cocoon around the second one? I like the name Fiddleheads. I think it would fit some people I know :)

M-C. Houle said...

I use to see a lot of those back when my parents still owned the cabin. Never ate those thought...

RNSANE said...

They are cute as they open....I guess they are opening, right?