Entries to Win Afghan


If you like my books, essays, etc. you might want to put your name on this private email list (no spam ever) for advance notices, coupons, and occasional freebies. Tell your friends too! Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Next issue will contain Chapter 2 of Dead Mule Swamp Druggist. Sign up, and don't miss out!"

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Caught the Red-Head

 
Almost every time I go to Idlewild, Michigan I see a red-headed woodpecker, Melanerpes erythrocephalus. They aren't rare, but I never seem to see them really close to where I live.

This is my third try at getting a decent picture, and it's the best one yet, although still not really good. The distance is always so far that I have to use the digital zoom as well as the optical one, which makes for fuzzy pictures.

red-headed woodpecker

I love the bold blocks of color on these birds. I'm probably also partial to them because they were common on our farm when I was a child.

See Red and White and Out of Focus
See Colored Heads and Striped Legs
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


9 comments:

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Love woodpeckers, they are so shy here we hear them but rarely see them.

vanilla said...

Still a nice capture! We see red bellied and downies, but it has been ages since we saw a red headed.

rainfield61 said...

Love woodpeckers, they are the doctors of trees.

Ann said...

oh he's a pretty one.

Lin said...

Such pretty colors. Isn't it amazing how Mother Nature dresses some creatures?

Sharkbytes said...

Carol- We have lots of kinds- I usually have Flickers, downys and hairys at my house.

vanilla- lots of red-bellied around, but I don't see them at my house

rainfield- they sure do a lot of surgery

Ann- isn't he?

Lin- he's so stunning and easy to spot.

Secondary Roads said...

I have seen one of these, but only once here at our current home.

RNSANE said...

He is such a beautiful bird. I guess I really like it because I'm a bit tired of the cawing crows that flutter about my windows here in Bandra and the fierce looking kites. I like a bit of color.

Ed Kyte said...

wait til you see a pileated wood pecker...... about the size of a big crow. I have several videos I have taken.... they are plentiful around lake and Newaygo counties.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin