Entries to Win Afghan


If you like my books, essays, etc. you might want to put your name on this private email list (no spam ever) for advance notices, coupons, and occasional freebies. Tell your friends too! Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Previous gifts include a short story, a poem and a half-off coupon for the newest book. Sign up, and don't miss out!"
Winners are: 3rd place- e-book of your choice: Wendy Nystrom. 2nd place- book of your choice, paper or e-book: Sue Ann Crawford. Winner of the afghan: Elaine Hull.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Baby, Sing to Me

 
I'm not a very good birder. But I knew enough to know that I saw one yesterday I didn't recognize. I did manage to get a picture that's in fairly good focus, and it looks like a juvenile something.

juvenile thrush

After that, I'm done. The thought crossed my mind that it might be getting spots on its throat. I sent the picture off to the local bird guru, Dave Dister.

He says it's a young thrush, either a Hermit Thrush or a Wood Thrush. Both have spotted throats. In either case, I love to hear them sing. They are pretty elusive... usually seen but not heard. I've only ever seen a few adults (remember, I'm not a great birder).

I'm happy to have seen this one, and captured it in pixels.

See a fledgling blue jay
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


4 comments:

Ratty said...

I'm glad somebody was able to identify it for you. I see so few birds around here that I'd be surprised to see one like that here.

Ann said...

aside from the gold finch, cardinal and blue jay I can't identify birds. Glad you have a local bird guru to help you out :)

Secondary Roads said...

Not much of a birder here, either. I do enjoy listening and identifying the species.

Lin said...

Oh, good catch! I love it when I spy something new in our yard. We get a lot of unique birds passing through because we are very close to the canal. I spend a lot of time looking at the birds at our feeder to see if someone new is there.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin