Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, July 11, 2016

Buckeye Trail- Cincinnati Spur

 
Yup, Ester and I went on an adventure, and I hiked the 12.6 miles of the spur into Cincinnati.

Pretty much the bast part of the route was the very beginning at the Ohio River Monument which overlooks the Ohio River.

Ohio River Monument

This is also the only "end" of the Buckeye Trail, because the trail is a loop with two small side loops, and this one little spur.

Buckeye Trail southern terminus

Ester and Jade delivered me, and they went off to find a shady place to wait for me.

woman and dog

All but the last few miles were on city streets. Near the river were a number of spectacular buildings and homes with classic architecture.

historic building

At the very end, I was on the Little Miami Rail Trail, where I finally had some shade.

rail trail

We got a late start and fooled around, so didn't start walking till 3 pm, and finished at 8. There was still plenty of light, and the final hour things cooled down to under 80, but it was a long hot walk with almost no shade. For anyone who needs to do this section to meet a Buckeye Trail goal, I suggest doing it on a crisp and cool autumn day when the trees have nice color. Full sun on a hot summer day wasn't so great.

But it's done. We camped that night, did a short visit to Glen Helen Nature Preserve this morning, and came back to her place.

Tomorrow I'll head home.


if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


2 comments:

Ann said...

Love old homes and buildings like that. Too bad you didn't have more shade to walk in

Unknown said...

Hi Joan. I have just reread all of your recent Buckeye Trail hike backwards, and here you are again. I am very envious since I can now only walk in short bursts, and always want to go further. Not sure I would do much at all now if we didn't have the dogs. There are many places I have wanted to see but am unlikely to now. It shows that you have to do as much as you can when you can, as you don't know what is around the corner of your life, and I think you are a living example of that.