Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, November 11, 2016

A Veteran from the Way-Back Machine

 
On this Veterans Day, I choose to remember a veteran from as far back in the United States' past as you can go. Sorry, no picture of him!

In the sorting of stuff I've been trying to work on this year, I've come across both my grandmother's and mother's DAR pins. That's Daughters of the American Revolution. You must have an ancestor who served during the Revolutionary War to become a member.

Here's Granny's pin with a 25-year rocker.

DAR pin

The ancestor was named Jesse Hodges. I've searched on genealogical sites and could not find the correct one. It seems to have been a rather common name. However, today, just because, I went to the DAR web site. They have a genealogy database of their own which can be searched by anyone. I believe I've got the correct ancestor located, but I don't seem to be able to figure out how to find Mom's and Granny's names, which I think should be there as (past) members.

Here's Mom's pin. It's smaller. She was not active after I was born- probably too busy with raising me and work. Perhaps there wasn't a local chapter.

DAR pin

On the DAR site I learned that it is a non-profit, non-political service organization dedicated to preserving history, promoting patriotism, and education. There is even a chapter only about 20 miles from me. Sounds pretty good.

When I was young, there were many jokes made about the Daughters of the American Revolution, picturing it as a snooty social club for old ladies. If it was, it doesn't look like that's what it is now.

Well, many of the things I have enjoyed or chosen over the course of my life have been ridiculed. Maybe I'll look into this some more. Somewhere, I have the papers that show our lineage and right to belong. The organization was founded in 1890. Looks like pretty good girl power to me.

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

2 comments:

Ann said...

What nice treasures. Sounds like a good place to find information too

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello sharkbytes its dennis the vizsla dog hay wow kool yore roots go way way bak!!! roomer has it that my dada is relayted to sumbuddy naymd ethan allen hoo i gess wuz in the revolooshonary war befor becoming a faymus purvayor of fernitcher i wunder if i cud joyn the dar of korse mine wood be the dogs of the amerikan revolooshun!!! ok bye