Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, November 6, 2016

My Sweetheart's the Man in the Moon

 
Lovely moon on my way to work Friday night. With the naked eye those craters really looked like the classic facial features.

crescent moon

My grandmother had (probably) thousands of songs available at a moment's notice. I was sung to sleep with many many different tunes. Here's one (an old vaudeville ditty):

My sweetheart’s the man in the moon.
I’m going to marry him soon.
‘Twould fill me with bliss just to give him one kiss,
But I know that a dozen I never would miss.
I’ll go up in a great big balloon
And see my sweetheart in the moon.
Then behind some dark cloud where no one is allowed
I’ll make love to the man in the moon.

It's easy to see how drawings like this came to be so popular.

crescent moon

I'm hoping for clear skies the night of the super moon, November 14.

See ...and the Moon in the Evening
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


2 comments:

Ann said...

I've heard plenty of songs about the moon but never this one. It's cute

Secondary Roads said...

It has been a long time since I've heard that song.