Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, February 5, 2018

A Shadow Revisited

 
The revisitation isn't nearly as good as the original, but interestingly enough, it's 9 years and a day later. I'll give you the better picture first. This was Feb. 4, 2009.

shadow of branches on snow

I hate to tell you that an autumn olive could produce beauty, but this is indeed an old autumn olive tree. The reason it's worth revisiting is that seeing this particular shadow is not always a sure thing. The snow needs to be fairly deep. It was not quite deep enough today to create that circular effect.

The sun needs to be bright, which it wasn't quite. And, I have to be where this tree is when all those things happen, at the correct time of day. Today, I was there, and the other parts were close. But, clearly the other picture is much better.

shadow of branches on snow

It was a beautiful day. Blue sky and not as much wind. The temperature was only 13 degrees, but it didn't feel too bad. I skied all four hills.

blue sky in winter above old barns

In other news: I cleared the driveway, worked all day on that freelance job, and managed to write two chapters in The Hitchhiker. Not bad.

See Rhythm and Metadata
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


3 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

Yes, interesting patterns.

Ann said...

I wish I could get as much accomplished in a day as you do

Secondary Roads said...

An interesting wave pattern. The alternate name for this blog: "By Busy Day."