Today, I discovered that the pit itself is not square. Had to have been built not square. When friends and I knocked together that frame on which to lay some plywood a couple of years ago, I guess we just made it fit without paying much attention.
Yikes! It is 2 inches shorter on one side than the other in both planes. I have decided that I can use the frame as it is. I will build the topper square and nail the sills of its walls wherever they hit that frame.
I finally got started on the walls. One done. But that's all I have time for.
I'm nowhere near done with the cement work, but I need to switch to getting the cover built. I'm not hauling the plywood over it just temporarily again. (I used to be able to pick up and carry a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 inch plywood. Now I can barely drag one.) I have one more top corner of the blocks to seriously repair (already did one) before I can put the walls up.
I am posting early because I will not have a free minute until much later tonight. I spent most of the day preparting for a workshop I'm leading this evening, after bell choir practice. Then I did this little bit on the well pit project. See you later.
|See Back to the Pit|