Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, June 16, 2022

Halfway - Celebrating with Kevin - Day 198

  My new friend (and NCTA Board member), Kevin Russell, wasn't sure he'd be free when I arrived at Maine Junction. He said to let him know when I could predict the time, which I did. hikers at Maine Junction

As you can see, he made it! But all morning, as I was hiking toward that destination, I was thinking it would be nice to have someone to celebrate with. But then I told myself that I do all kinds of things alone, and that is fine too.

But, I was pretty happy to see him hiking toward me just as we reached the shelter that isn't far from my goal. I was way overdue for a break, so we stopped long enough for me to eat a snack and drink some water. By the way, that is the Tucker Johnson Shelter- a nice one with bunks. Tucker Johnson shelter

How much farther to go? 0.4 mile! trail sign

And very quickly (easy trail downhill), we were there! What's the big deal about Maine Junction? This is where the Appalachian Trail splits from the Long Trail and heads toward Maine. It's also now (since 2019) the eastern terminus of the North Country Trail. So, it's a triple point where three major trails meet. No, we are not mentioned on the sign yet, but eventually... sigh. Lots of politics even for trails.

This is approximately the halfway point of my hike. It's the second time I've hiked to here (Marie and I did this in 2014) before it was official, and even though it's just a signpost in the woods, it's a special place. Maine Junction

However, unless you want to spend the rest of your life in the woods, you have to hike one more mile out to the trailhead at the road!

Kevin has been SO generous. He brought me a wonderful chicken salad for lunch... person eating deli salad

...and a sandwich for himself. person eating a sandwich

It was really fun to have someone to celebrate this milestone (milepost?) with me.

He had afternoon commitments, and I had to start driving west. I'm already back at Mary's, snug in Sunny, and now I have to decide how far I think I can drive tomorrow.

Miles today that count: 6.6. Chittenden Tributary to Maine Junction (and on to Route 4) Total miles so far: 2450.4. Miles that don't count- the 1 extra to the parking lot.

8 comments:

vanilla said...

Hip, hip, hooray! May your journey to the Western terminus be safe and smooth!

Unknown said...

Congratulations for half way to goal. How exciting. And I know exactly where you were as I've been there. You do look like you've lost weight. Eat more goodies! :-)

Sarah said...

There will be a book I’m sure, but I propose a movie!

Congratulations Joan!

I’m happy and sad. Sad to see you leave NY State! Safe memorable travels. Happy trails until we meet again 🥾🥾🥾🥾

Ann said...

Congratulations on the half way mark.

Stacy said...

Yay! I'm so excited for you! Happy travels!

CJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CJ said...

Congrats Joan!!
When it comes time to come up with a NCT sign in Vermont, this place makes Wonderful wood signs!
We had one made for each end of our PWC chapter at a very reasonable price. They even included the miles to N.Dak and to Vermont!
www.carpenter-woodworks.com/s/shop

The Furry Gnome said...

I had no idea you had hiked so far! Congratulations!