Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Front Garden Report 2024 #3

 Indeed, you are getting a report on the Front Garden Bed. It needs a lot of plants yet, but I'm really happy with how far it has come in a couple of years. Today's report is exactly 3 months later than the first post linked below. That was in June, and the colors in this one section that I have looking nice were much more vibrant, but it's not shabby for September. The space is 100% weeded, so I'm patting myself on the back. The netting fence has stopped almost all of the grazing by the neighborhood beasties, and it doesn't look too ugly. The two problems with it are the snake it caught earlier in the year, and it's also trying to kill me, since I keep forgetting it's there and tripping.
garden with heuchera and hosta


The other half is still rather bare, but a plan is developing. I only showed you this plant once, about a year ago. This is a variegated ajuga. It has survived one winter and settled in and is beginning to spread. I tried it in the rock garden first, but unlike the bronze ajuga, it won't tolerate the sun. It seems pretty happy here. I'm going to encourage it to spread around and showcase that 'Forbidden Fruit' hosta. You can also see a small blue hosta that came from Ester in a cage.
variegated ajuga


This is a major addition to the front bed this year. Friend Sue gave me a lot of tiger lilies. I've put them into two groupings. While doing so, I filled the chipmunk hole, but you can see that the chippy is still using it since it's cleared out today. That may not bode well for the lilies. However, so far s/he has left the two lilies I already have alone. Maybe I should move the one that's almost IN the hole, eh?
dead lily stalks


Last change for this year, I think. This picture doesn't look like much, but it documents what I did. Last year, I moved some of the two kinds of primrose I have, but I wasn't happy with where I put them- sort of strung out in a line. I've now moved them into groupings with the low blue-flowering ones in front and the taller yellow ones behind. These transplanted just fine last year, so I'm hoping that will be true again. Just in case, I left a couple of each right where they were!
transplanted primrose


I have an idea for a plant I might want to buy for the background. We'll see if I decide I can justify another expense this year. It can be planted in the fall, so it would be nice to get it going.

In other news: I worked on required projects in the morning. Walked to the P.O, bank, etc. in the afternoon, and also worked on the rock garden. I'm trying to get that last little bit on the west edge organized with rock spaces so I can finish the numbering. I've put in quite a few plants that are in locations with no numbers. That makes it difficult to create accurate records so I know what should be appearing in the spring.

Miles hiked in 2024: 393.6

See Front Garden Report 2024 #1 See May 2023

3 comments:

Ann said...

I wonder what the chipmunk would do if you planted something in that hole.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Hmm, variegated ajuga won't tolerate the sun? Sounds like it has something in common with our Dada ..."

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- he would eat it

Lulu- poor Dada.