Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, September 14, 2024

Scottville Fall Festival 2024

 Scottville will never completely be able to bring back the "glory" that was the Harvest Festival. Those were huge and deeply rooted in the area's agricultural heritage. Everyone attended. It was a 3-day event with parades, an ox roast, a midway, music, contests, and I don't even remember what all. The streets were packed so full it was even difficult to walk around most of the time.

But the city is trying to recreate some small-town pride and enthusiasm with a one-day Fall Festival. From my perspective, it was moderately well attended. I'll have to wait to hear how the city feels about it. There were lots of activities for kids with pony rides, face painting, games, etc. There was music (the famous Scottville Clown Band, of course, and another group too). there was a dunk tank. I don't know how that was run this time- it used to be that a local celebrity would take the seat and folks would pay for throws to try to drop the person into the water. There were softball and cornhole tournaments. And there were vendors. That's how I got involved. The vendors were not on the main drag, and I suspect there were a lot of people who didn't come all the way to our end.
small town festival


That said, I did OK. About what I thought I'd sell, but definitely in the black. I got to explain about the North Country Trail to quite a few people.

This was very cute. It's a remote control car operated by the Sheriff's Department. It played various musical numbers, and the dog opened and closed its mouth.
remote control car with dog


It was a fine day, my only complaint was that it was blazing hot. I took all the food I needed, but I ended up having to buy one extra drink, and that was even after a friend brought me a bottle of water. Thankfully, I was right beside a convenience store, so that was easy.

No walking happened other than setting up and tearing down.

See Wild Blueberry Festival

3 comments:

Ann said...

I can't imagine that a one day event could compare to a 3 day one but nice that they are trying to revive it. That sheriff's car is really cute.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Java Bean: "Ayyy, I wish I had my own car! I could drive to Starbucks and get my own coffee!"

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- the community has changed. Still agricultural ties, but nothing like the focus of the past.

Bean- You would fit nicely in that one, but the catch is that someone at a distance drives it for you!