Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, September 5, 2024

Wing Interpretive Trail

 I discovered a new trail in my own county yesterday! Granted, it's not very long, but I'm pretty knowledgeable about such things, so I was surprised. It's located at the county fairgrounds, and called the Wing Interpretive Trail. It's natural surface, shaded for most of it, and has labels for various trees. Only 0.3 miles long. You can close the loop via another 0.1 mile of pavement or turn around and go back for another 0.3 miles. If it's not blastingly hot, you can also walk around the fairgrounds on various unshaded paved paths.
shaded trail


There is a shaded clearing with a bench.
bench along a trail


On the walk through the fairgrounds, I saw this nice chainsaw carving of a horsehead by one of the arenas.
chainsaw carving of horse head


There were some pretty plantings, although most are getting past prime now. This yellow butterfly bush with a purple geranium (maybe 'Roxanne') looked good.
butterfly bush and geranium


A couple of days ago, I made Winter Cobbler (a favorite around here), and I've been eating it for my breakfasts. Very yum. Pears, grapes, apples, touch of orange. Maybe one more pan of it in my future.
winter cobbler


In other news: I got up at a good time, worked on necessary tasks all morning. Spent most of the afternoon on the rock garden and plant records. Walked 2.1 miles nearby.

Miles hiked in 2024: 397.7

See Winter and Winter Cobbler

3 comments:

Ann said...

That sounds like a perfect day. The cobbler sounds good.

Sharkbytes said...

Any day I find a new trail, even a short one, is awesome!

The Oceanside Animals said...

Java Bean: "Ayyy, a short trail means plenty of time for sniffing!"