Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, September 2, 2024

Walking Around Pleiness Lake

  I haven't made any sort of goal to walk around various lakes, but I recently learned that you can walk around this one in my county, so I went and checked it out. This is Pleiness Lake. I think this is only the second small lake I've walked around- Tallman Lake in the link... Oh no, third. I've also walked around Idlewild Lake. See... now it's officially a collection.
Pleiness Lake


There is a public access so it gets used a fair amount. There were two boat trailers parked when I got there, and another was just taking his boat out.

However, the walk around is only 2.2 miles. I wanted it to be a little longer, but not bad. The road does not connect all the way (probably to keep people from just racing around and around), but you can walk through to connect the two road sections. That's where I put the dotted line. Mix of sun and shade, even mid-afternoon, so that was OK. If one lived there it would make a nice daily walk, but not really worth the drive just to do it.
pleiness lake map


Here's the view looking south from the north end.
Pleiness Lake


There is a public boat access and a latrine, but no picnic table, bench or any other amenity. There is a picnic area, but it's private for members and guest of the HOA. You don't get a lot of views of the water because it's completely ringed with homes and cottages. I should walk around a couple that are in the National Forest. Might be more satisfying. And that reminds me that I've walked around McCarthy Lake, too.

Nice gray dogwood berries, Cornus racemosa.
gray dogwood berries


And in someone's garden, this luscious 'Cranberry Crush' hibiscus.
cranberry crush hibiscus


I learned that there is a section of Ordway Road that is dirt and curvy and shaded. It would be a lovely place to take a walk, but it's less than a mile long, so hardly worth the drive to do it.

I also found another tiny lake, more like a pond. But it has a name, Dockery Lake. I think it's private, but there was someone out in a boat, fishing. Hopefully, either the owner or a friend of the owner.
Dockery Lake


In addition to this mini adventure, I worked on all the things I am supposed to be doing. Yeah, me. And I finished cleaning up the entire front garden (if nothing more exciting happens, you'll see it tomorrow). Right now, all the gardens are getting a drink.

Miles hiked in 2024: 390.6

See Walking Around Tallman Lake

3 comments:

Ann said...

Looks like a nice area. Too bad you don't get a view of the lake for the entire walk around it.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Our Dada says he and Mama and Tucker and Trixie used to walk around something called Moss Lake in the Adirondacks back in the day!"
Java Bean: "Ayyy, a lake made of moss? I would like to see that!"

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- it was OK, but not a real walking destination.

Lulu- Dada should know. A lot of those lakes are pretty mossy to make the moosies happy.