Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, September 6, 2024

Sunshine Between the Sprinkles

 The rain never really materialized today, but there were mild sprinkles going on a lot of the time. The sun came out for just a few minutes, and that gave me a chance to show you what will be some of the last new blossoms for this season.

Last week, I showed you the sedum from Margaret, some variety of Hylotelephium spectabile, possibly 'Rosenteller.' (based on the light green leaves and light purple flowers). It's looking really nice now.


This one makes me really happy. This was my first SunSparkler sedum, 'Dream Dazzler,' purchased in 2020. It doesn't spread very quickly, but I've split two pieces off it to get it growing in more than one place. This is the one with the beautiful bi-colored leaves. Notice the pink edging on the purple. This is the first time it's ever bloomed, and all three clumps have some attempt at blossoming! This is the picture that best shows both the flowers and the variegated leaves.
sedum dream dazzler blooming


I haven't showed you this one at all this year. It got chewed again, early in the season, and I didn't think it was going to bloom at all, but here it is. This is sedum (now Hylotelephium) 'Autumn Joy.' This was a gift from my friend Betty, way back in 1999. The picture I have of it blooming in 2002 shows it to be a dark, dusky maroon. We'll see what it looks like in another week. This didn't bloom last year because it got chewed right to the ground.
sedum autumn joy in bud


Tomorrow is the fall plant sale of the Mason County Garden Club. I'm going to go see what I might find there rather than ordering a plant. The prices are sure to be good, and the plants healthier than anything that has to be shipped. And I'll get in a walk that is something other than to Scottville and back.

In other news: I did things I was supposed to in the morning, made yogurt, walked to the post office and library (in said sprinkles- no big deal), and then worked on a couple of my personal pet projects.

Miles hiked in 2024: 401.1

See What's Blooming Today

4 comments:

Ann said...

I like all of these but the second one is my favorite. I like the colors of it. Hope you find some good deals at the plant sale.

Sharkbytes said...

That is a favorite for sure. I got some things I would not have paid full price for, but am willing to try at the club prices.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "We could use a few sprinkles here, but we aren't going to get them ..."

Sharkbytes said...

Lulu- it remained only at sprinkles. I'm watering the flowers.