Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Pipsissewa

 
I got a really nice surprise today while I was out doing cases.

I've only seen this plant a few other times, and I thought it didn't grow this far south. But it does. According to Michigan Flora, it grows throughout Michigan but is rather localized the farther south you go. This is Pipsissewa, Chimaphila umbellata. That means umbrella-like winter lover. The leaves are evergreen, and the flower is like a little umbrella. I've never seen the flower. But I sure know the plant. Here's what I saw.

pipsissewa

I said to myself, "That looks like pipsissewa, but here?" See how the leaves grow in stacked whorls around the stem, and how dark and waxy they are, with little teeth?

pipsissewa

Then I saw the seed pods, and I knew that's what it had to be. The pods look very much like those of Spotted Wintergreen, another species in the same genus.

pipsissewa

If you follow the link below you can see when I saw it in bud. But now. NOW! I can maybe track it down when it's blooming. This is only about 30 minutes from my house. Made my day!

See The Road Beckons
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


3 comments:

Ann said...

the leaves remind me of something else but I can't think of what.

Sharkbytes said...

Maybe pachysandra

RNSANE said...

Nice find for you. Maybe you can transplant some closer to home.