Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Cold Gold


gold autumn leaves

Still cold and wet here. But it wasn't actually raining when it was dog walking time. The gold leaves really seemed to glow under the gray skies in the afternoon light. As I walk toward the cemetery the tree in the foreground is an aspen, and you can see the line of trees in the background that is the edge of the cemetery.

gold autumn leaves

None of these pictures is that spectacular. But I just liked them, and I didn't touch them up at all- they caught the light intensity pretty accurately. As I pass that aspen tree and head down to the cemetery this section of trees is quite dense.

gold autumn leaves

This is the city cemetery, and it has an older section and a new one. The older one is on my side of the road, with lots of trees, and I like that a lot. Of the two large trees, the left one with the horizontal branch is where I tested the new cache hanging idea.

gold autumn leaves

This view shows some of the sumac in front of the gold. Some years they are bright red, but the reds aren't as good this year. Even so, there is a nice blend of colors.

gold autumn leaves

The most open area on my side gives this view. I think this is my favorite of these pictures. I like the way the darker background just sort of pulls me in and the leaves around the graves.

So, none of this is very original or spectacular, but it's there for me to enjoy day after day, and I do love it.


See Hanging the Cache
See Trite But True


11 comments:

rainfield61 said...

Everyday is an ordinary day, but it is up to us to enjoy.

Mike said...

What lovely Autumn colours. At first I thought it was a woodland cemetery until I read the words.

I also enjoyed some of your other photographs.

Thanks for sharing.

Diane AZ said...

What a lovely area to go for a walk. The cemetery looks beautiful with all the trees and the golden leaves on the ground.

VanillaSeven said...

Beautiful golden trees :) I wish I can walk there and enjoy the scenery.

Congratz on your winning at VanillaSeven contest, Sharkie. Please email me your widget and code :)

Martha Z said...

Autumn is a wonderful time for walking. I enjoy watching the changing colors. The progression of colors is much like the progression of bloom in the spring, always changing.

betchai said...

beautiful pictures Sharkbytes, i love the colors! really very cool gold!

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

rainfield- You just said a mouthful!

Mike- Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you like the photos. They are always more fun for me if others enjoy them too.

Diane- It is a lovely place. I try to remember what a privilege it is that it is so close to me.

Vanilla- Come for a hike, why not, eh? Thanks for the free ad for a week!

Martha- Yes, things look so different in each season.

betchai- Thank you! Some years there is orange and red in those trees too. This year, gold is certainly the winning color!

Rick (Ratty) said...

This is the kind of thing I was looking at today. The forests around here are full of those gold leafed trees. I was happily taking hundreds of pictures of them. And cemeteries were the places of my nature walks when I was a kid. They were some of the few nature areas in the city.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Ratty- Many old cemeteries are lovely places to stroll. Very peaceful. I'm not so fond of the new, open, flat stoned ones. I suppose they are tidy, but not so interesting.

•°°• IcyBC •°°• said...

Incredibly beautiful photos of golden tree! This is the time of year in Michigan that I adore!

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Icy- Sorry that I missed your comment earlier. Are your colors over there really good too?