Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Power of Nature


I have scheduled posts for the next few days... enjoy!

sunrise

These are just a few images that remind me of the power of natural forces... and not the ones like hurricanes, earthquakes, and the like. The first picture was the sunrise the morning I left home for this Ohio hike. It was so awesome I had to stop the car and take this picture.

shed covered with vines

This one is much more subtle... just an old shed covered in vines. But not so many years ago this little building was probably important to someone's life. Maybe it housed a tractor. I didn't brave the poison ivy to look inside, so it could have been used for anything. Maybe chickens lived there, or a pony. But now the field is reclaiming it... slowly the vines and the weather will pull it back to the earth

polypore on log

Finally, the fungus will even have their way with the wood. This is some polypore working on a log. In a few years the wood will be returned to the soil.

8 comments:

rainfield61 said...

Interesting post which shows the power of nature and time.

betchai said...

i too would stop if i would see that kind of sunrise, so powerful!

Jordasche Bledsoe said...

That is a gorgeous picture up top. Thanks for sharing.

bambie said...

that's a very beautiful picture of a sunrise. it in itself exudes a powerful statement.

Jackie said...

Of course I love them all. But, I have a special fondness for old houses.

I always stop and wonder who lived there, were they happy, was their life easy or hard? So many thoughts run through my mind with old buildings and houses.

We had a death in our family and the last couple of posts have been dedicated to that. The services are today and I hope to get back to my photography soon!!

Peace,
Jackie

•°°• IcyBC •°°• said...

The picture of the sky really said it all! That's just amazing and incredible!

Rick (Ratty) said...

This is a great way to show nature's everyday effect on everything. It's normal method is time, just as you've shown.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Hi Rainfield- Yes, time is a big factor there, isn't it?

Betchai- Nice to see you. I am usually too lazy to stop a car to take a picture. I'm so glad I did this time!

Jordache and Bambie- Thank you! And thanks for stopping by.

Jackie- Sorry to hear of your loss. Yes, I always wonder about old houses too!

Icy- I was really happy when the picture actually did the real thing justice. Thanks.

Ratty- Sometimes I get lucky and some set of unconnected pictures will just say something.