Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Guess the Whole


This is just for fun. Try to guess what each one is. If you click the picture of the detail it will open a picture of the whole item. There are comments about each at the end of the whole post.











The first picture is of a red jelly fungus... or maybe a slime mold. I have to do some more research. Since I love slime molds, I hope it is one of those, but it looks too smooth.

Next is a lovely box turtle that was not shy at all!

The third one is a North American millipede, Narceus americanus, sometimes called the eastern red-ribbed millipede. They make nice pets.

I hope you weren't disturbed at the condition of the bird the feathers were from. I may do a whole post about it just because they aren't seen too often. It's a woodcock!

Finally, there is a seed pod of the trumpet vine, which has flamboyant red trumpet flowers earlier in the summer.

I hope this was fun.

6 comments:

WillOaks Studio said...

This is such a lovely collection of nature's amazing textures and patterns, I love the way you isolated them this way! It's amazing to discover abstract art....all around us au naturel!

bemused26 said...

I like these games! I got number 2 and 3 right. Well, along the right lines anyway. Great post- the woodcock made me jump I have to say.
But not disturbed!

rainfield61 said...

It is a fun game to test my general knowledge.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi WillOaks- I'm honored that you like them. When one is taking pictures on a hike, waiting for the right light, or fooling with the settings just don't match up with the patience level all too often!

Bemused- Thanks for playing! Sorry about making you jump.

Rainfield- I'm sure it would be asking too much for people in other areas of the world to recognize the specific species, but I thought that even getting the general idea would be fun, so I'm glad you agreed.

Rick (Ratty) said...

This was a very fun game. The only one I really guessed was the millipede. I was close on the turtle and the bird. I thought the turtle was something that came from around water, I just wasn't sure what. The bird feathers were pretty clear. I really had no clue on the other two. Actually I thought the first one might be a sort of fungus. That last one wasn't at all what I expected.

Sharkbytes said...

Ratty- I am extra happy that you thought it was fun. I tend to make things too hard, so I tried to make this one less obtuse. I may do a whole post about the trumpet vine.