Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, October 30, 2009

The Point of My Quality Day


Josh with chihuahua

Remember the point of My Quality Day? Back when it was hard to find anything good in most days, I made it an exercise to find SOMETHING good. Today was one of those days.

It poured all day. 3.4 inches of rain, poured. I could hear the rain on the windows when I woke up to the sound of the phone ringing. I knew it would, because I had told Joshua to call as soon as he had talked to the vet.

Late yesterday afternoon he walked over here with his two dogs. I should explain that Josh is the middle son, who lives nearby. The smaller dog is a little black chihuahua, named Loopy. The picture above is Josh and Loopy a couple of Christmases ago. A picture of Loopy yesterday or today would not be welcome. She was obviously one sick little dog. Actually, she doesn't like me very much, but she stood in the kitchen with her tail between her legs, shaking, and she let me touch and pet her. That is the first time ever, in the 6 years Josh has owned her, that Loopy let me touch her unless Josh was holding her. He said that she had not pooped for two days, and wondered what to do.

Well, I hadn't ever tried treating a dog with a laxative, and she is so small I wouldn't even know how much to try. I felt her belly, and it wasn't swollen or hot, so I told him to call the vet in the morning and then call me. Oh, did I mention that he has no car, so I knew I'd have to drive him.

So then I stayed up late blogging (as usual), and when the phone rang this morning, he said that we were supposed to be at the vet's in 20 minutes! It's a 15-minute drive. I may have mentioned that morning and I are not friends. If I have to leap out of bed it's usually a guaranteed headache all day. So I leaped out of bed and we were at the vet's in 25 minutes. But no coffee...

By this morning, Loopy had started bleeding. Exam, blood test, (Loopy let me hold her the whole time we waited for the test results- like I said, sick doggie) diagnosis... she had a badly infected uterus, which wasn't hot or swollen because it was draining, but she needed to be spayed immediately.

So we left the dog to her fate, I took Josh home, and got home myself just about in time to eat lunch. But by then, of course, I had that flaming headache.

I spent the afternoon trying to complete some assignments, and did succeed a bit, between holding my head and listening to the rain. No walk for Maggie or me. It was so dark in the house I had to turn on the lights.

But at 3:30 the vet called to say that Loopy was awake and doing well, we could pick her up. So it was off to Ludington again. Loopy was groggy, and her huge ears were droopy (they are her best feature!), but she was feeling well enough to give me the evil eye, and she wanted Josh.

So the quality in today is that Loopy is alive. The infection was so bad that the vet said she probably wouldn't have lived through the weekend without the surgery. I bought a cheap pizza to celebrate. Horray for the strong spirit of a little black rat with big ears!


See In Memory of Hoover Houdini Chips


13 comments:

spinninglovelydays said...

That was scary! Glad your dog's going to be okay.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad Loopy survived, poor little thing. Well written. :-)
Frances

Auntie E said...

Glad to read Loopy is doing better. One who think she would come to like you since you were comforting her.

Secondary Roads said...

Lupe es muy bonita.

WillOaks Studio said...

That poor little dog! I'm so happy to hear this had a happy ending because it's difficult when the little guys can't tell us what hurts, what's wrong with them...thank goodness for good vets!

betchai said...

glad to know Loopy is better now, maybe she finally touched you knowing that you are her angel to feel better.

Jason said...

I like your site. It's a very interesting read. I have a site myself that provides inspiration and guidance to people around the world. I was wondering if you would like to exchange links. Let me know if this is possible.

Jason
TheWISDOMWALL.com

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Ivy- Son's dog, but still, I'd hate to lose Loopy this way.

Frances- thanks for stopping by! She feels much better now!

Auntie E- She's one of about 5 dogs in my entire life that didn't like me. It's so weird that it's funny.

Charles- Je ne comprende pas. Loopes est tres beau?

WillOaks- Yes, I'm glad we didn't wait and try to treat the unknown something ourselves

Betchai- thanks for the nice thought, I had some hopes that she might feel better about me afterwards, but seeing her first reaction to me after surgery, I think not! :-)

Hi Jason- I will check out your site.

Rick (Ratty) said...

This is indeed an excellent example for your blog. Knowing that the little dog is doing better brightened my mood at the end of the post when I read it. I love dogs, and a happy ending for one is a great quality day for me.

Evil Eye said...

The Evil Eye can be cured with appropriate charm or amulet from Holy Land

Julia said...

I am so glad you were able to help give that little dog relief even though you're on her F-list...

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Ratty- Yes, although I love the outdoor stuff most, this is really about all the parts in my life. Sometimes the quality comes from another source. I'm really glad Loopy is ok; she's really important to Josh.

Evil Eye- I suspect you were surfing for "evil eye," but thanks for stopping by.

Julia- Yes, I thought of you as I wrote it... your recent hopeful return from the vet. Josh called today, and Loopy is doing really well so far.

RNSANE said...

I enjoyed this story of Loopy and your trip to the vet which saved her life! Your son is quite handsome, by the way!

Sorry for your all day headache and NO coffee. Joshua should have had a travel mug waiting for you when you arrived. That's kids for you!