Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Lines of Changing Seasons


birds on wire

Remember the car bingo game where you had to find a bird on a wire? Well, I'm probably showing my age now. Kids today watch DVDs in the car. (If I were raising kids even now, we'd still play travel bingo and hunt for the alphabet on signs and all those other silly games in real reality, not virtual reality.)

This time of year, the birds are more than willing to cooperate with anyone who still wants to play the game. So how many birds swooped in, en mass, to share this resting place?

birds on wire

How about this many? Looks like quite a few. Please note the tree branches on the right, and then look for them in the next picture.

birds on wire

Wow! They hung around just long enough for me to snap a couple of pix, and then swept away as a group, certainly thinking about warmer wintering grounds.

P.S. My first blogoversary is coming up on October 26! I'm not doing any big contest, but it will be a great day to post the "regular" monthly contest for one month of a free ad. So get ready... I think it will be an eclectic mix of stuff.

P.P.S. I've added a small poll by which you can help me focus my search for things to share with you. Thanks!

7 comments:

RNSANE said...

I remember seeing lines of birds en masse many times in my travels. They do leave en masse
as well. No one wants to be left behind. I love to see the swarms of them in the skies....often Canadian geese heading south.
Nice photo!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Rick (Ratty) said...

I haven't seen this many birds yet for some reason. They must be avoiding me. I tried last year to get a few great pictures like these, but they always flew away before I had a chance. I still knew next to nothing about my camera at that point.

I like where you put your poll. I got to be the first voter!

Cherry said...

whoa! that's lots of birds in line! amazing!

Cherry said...

fun poll, voted for... secret! ;)

rainfield61 said...

Haha!! the last one shows how far you have gone to picture this. If you go further, anymore can we see?
lol.

ps: don't tell me we share the same date on the first blogoversary.

VanillaSeven said...

Beautiful flock of birds on the wire. Love the mood of the picture.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi RNSANE- Thank you for coming by! I think this was a swarm of starlings. The mathematics of the groups is so lovely!

Ratty- Yes, I got lucky. They landed then left just as I got my camera, but then they came back. I haven't had good luck with polls in the past. I thought I'd stick this one in everyone's faces.

Cher- I know. I should have tried to count them, but you've given me an idea. Thanks for voting.

Rainfield- Well, the wire ran behind bigger obstructions off the ends, so who knows? My blog-day is Oct 26, what's yours?

Vanilla- high praise from you! But it does set a mood, doesn't it?