Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, October 19, 2009

A Walk By the River

 

dog walkingMaggie was a happy dog today. I finally felt energetic enough (since returning from Ohio) to go for a slightly longer walk today.

I actually talked Om into going with me, so the three of us walked the 1.5 mile loop at Riverside Park on the Pere Marquette River. The river isn't spectacular there, but it's very peaceful, and it's one of my favorite walks. The problem is that it's really swampy and heavy with poison ivy growth. And in wet times of the year the trail is actually not passable - well, unless you are willing to get really, really wet! That means that the best times to walk it are in the fall and winter.

Pere Marquette river

It's a quiet river, and popular for canoeing, but it has enough current that no swimming is allowed here at the park.

Pere Marquette river logs

Logs caught in the river provide places for turtles to sun themselves on warm days, but they are probably all snuggled in the mud for the winter by now.

Pere Marquette river autumn

The heavy frost of yesterday, combined with some stiff wind this morning means that a lot of trees have dropped their leaves. But this red bush was still bright and full enough to be reflected in the water.

Pere Marquette river

By the time we were almost done the late afternoon light was helping to create some dramatic landscapes. This is the best of the bunch.

To be honest, I spent a lot of the time chatting with Om, telling him about the Ohio hike. It's not too often that he will come with me, so I wasn't looking at the scenery, for details, or wildlife as much as most times. But that's ok... it was nice to spend some time together.


See Quiet River for this same hike in April
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


10 comments:

Unknown said...

That last pic is gorgeous. I love nature. Don't nearly get out enough...

Salitype said...

that is one beautiful backdrop for a walk...i could walk there for hours and wouldn't even notice the passing of time....

eng

Ann said...

great place for a walk, the scenery is great. Really love that last picture there.

•°°• IcyBC •°°• said...

These are beautiful view and very peaceful!

Unknown said...

Lovely photos. I love the last one. And Maggie is a cutie.

rainfield61 said...

Long time no see, Maggie.

spinninglovelydays said...

Gorgeous pictures, as always. Your area certainly appears very idyllic. :)

Rick (Ratty) said...

Having someone to walk with is sometimes the most enjoyable thing. I love my solitary hikes, but it's nice on the rare occasions that someone else is willing to go along.

BoeyJoey said...

Beautiful nature pictures! :-)

Btw, I'm hosting a giveaway for $200 USD at http://boeyjoey.blogspot.com/2009/10/im-wishing-for-something-sparkly-for-my.html. To win just paste a button, go check it out! :-)

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Roschelle- Yes, sometimes it seems hard to take the time. I just HAVE to or I'm worse than Oscar the Grouch. Thanks for stopping by.

Hi eng of Salitype- I never know which one of you is stopping by, but I'm happy to see you. I really like going down to the river where there is no trail. That is the most peaceful.

Ann- nice to meet you! I was surprised by that last one myself when I looked at the pics!

Icy- Thank you! The river is strong but silent.

Hi DK- Maggie isn't a big ham, but once in a while I can get her to smile for the camera.

Rainfield- Yes, I have neglected to picture her much lately. Actually I didn't want to in Sept. She got very thin and unhealthy looking during our battle with the fleas this year. She is better now!

Hi Ivy- we have as much grunge and ugliness as anywhere. I just choose to concentrate on the better parts... the whole point of this blog.

Ratty- thank you for that comment. It's not often I can get Om to walk with me, and even less often to drive somewhere to do so. It was worth giving up some quiet for a little communication!

BoeyJoey- OK, I'll check it out.