Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Sustaining the Bike & Beach Report

 
A friend from Pentwater, Shelly, rides her bike around town and down to the beach and posts a cute little summary on Facebook that she calls the Bike & Beach Report. However, this important service was recently in jeopardy due to a broken brake cable.

Shelly was dismayed to learn that the bike shop down her way had already closed for the season, and was asking where else she might take her bike to be fixed.

Well, I hadn't seen her in a coon's age, and that's such a simple job, I said I'd do it. Today was the day!

Her husband, Larry, is having sight issues, so he couldn't do it alone, but every job needs a good supervisor.

replacing a bike cable

Of course, the work needed to be tested, so we took a spin around town. Let me tell you, on a windy, chilly day, the report from the beach is "empty."

bike rider

Shelly treated me to lunch and Larry washed my car! Plus, I got to visit with them. I really haven't seen them in a long time. I'm sure I got the best end of the whole deal.

We were smiling! (And I had to use this picture, because how often do I get to be the tall one?)

friends

Now, the Bike & Beach Report is saved for the season, until the snow flies.

if you like this blog, click the +1  

6 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

It's always good to have friends who help each other.

vanilla said...

Nice job; and you were well-rewarded!

Secondary Roads said...

I'm tempted to call you "stretch." But I fear that would be a stretch. It is always good to reconnect with friends. Well done.

Ann said...

You certainly did your good deed for the day. Well done.

Sharkbytes said...

Ratty- You've sure got that right!

vanilla- I was embarrassed to get so much in return for such a small job.

Chuck- I hadn't ever thought of myself as that much taller than Shelly, but the camera doesn't lie, and we were standing on level cement.

Ann- I think there were a lot of mutual good deeds done.

Unknown said...

That sounds like a perfect result. Your friend's looks remind me of one of mine I haven't seen for a while. Must get in touch.