Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, April 11, 2014

Hairy Phlox

 
Although you may not care as much about the details as I do, I doubt anyone will mind seeing more pretty flower pictures.

This is another one from the Cane Creek Canyon Preserve. That area has quite a few rare plants. Probably lots of you know phlox from your garden. There's also a common wild phlox that is about a foot high or a little taller. It's usually a purplish-blue color.

This one is even shorter, and these flowers are more magenta, although all the phlox range through the pink to blue colors. It's Hairy Phlox, Phlox amoena, and the key feature is the bracts are hairy but the calyx is not. I didn't get a picture that really shows that, since I didn't know what to look for.

hairy phlox

This grows only in specialized locales, with basic chemistry. In this case, they are growing in damp soil over a limestone base. In Alabama, that's known as a "glade." This species doesn't grow north of the Ohio River.

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

7 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

That's a beautiful plant. I'm not well acquainted with phlox.

rainfield61 said...

It is more than a flower today.

Ann said...

they're pretty.

Unknown said...

I didn't know there was a hairy phlox. It looks just beautiful. Now I feel I should like some for my garden - such a sweet pretty plant.

Anonymous said...

How is phlox pronounced?

Sharkbytes said...

Catskill- it is FLOX.

RNSANE said...

Purple and pretty.