Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Carolina Wood Vetch

 
Just one more flower today. This was a new one to me, although it supposedly grows in all of the eastern US, except New England.

I think of vetches as growing in fields and weedy places. This one likes woodlands. In fact, our guide called it Woodland Vetch. It also blooms earlier than others. However, it has a habit of trailing all over everything and will attach itself to anything else, like all its cousins.

Carolina wood vetch

This one has white blossoms. It was a delicate plant, but showed up well against the brown leaves.

Carolina wood vetch

I'll have to watch for it other places, now. The books call it Carolina Wood Vetch, Vicia caroliniana.

See Cow Vetch
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

4 comments:

Duxbury Ramblers said...

That's another beautiful plant, not one we have got and we have a few, we find them all over the place I even have them in my wild patch :)

Ann said...

another pretty one. It reminds me of something else but I can't think of what

Secondary Roads said...

Lovely. Those stems look mighty tough.

RNSANE said...

It's amazing what beauty one finds out there in the woods.