Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, April 7, 2014

More People- Building Great Memories

 
I have to say that Loretta has some great friends in Alabama. The downside for me is they all want her back there! The upside is that they seem to have adopted me with the same enthusiasm they have for her. Our social schedule was very busy.

Saturday night we had dinner and played games with Bill and Nancy. Oh, by the way, you might notice the sweater Loretta is wearing. It may look familiar.

Bill

On Friday, Bill had the day off, and he took us hiking at the TVA reservation. His hobby is birding, and he whistled up some interesting birds for us while I scouted out plants. That's the Wilson Dam in the background.

Bill

It was decided that no trip was complete without lunch at a hole in the wall, Staggs Grocery, where they serve hamburgers in various sizes, of local renown. A friend of Bill's joined us for that part of the adventure.

Bill

We spent part of Monday with Dr. and Becky Dougherty. They drove us to see a few local sights, and then we had lunch with them. I told you we were never in danger of starving on this trip!

Doughertys

On Monday evening, we went to a Women on Missions group at Loretta's former church. There, this lady, Kay, told us about a non-profit she founded called "The Healing Place." It is a place where grieving children and their families can come to work through the loss of a loved one. Everyone was interested to learn more, especially since it was known that she was one of the three finalists in the Health-Mart caregivers contest for the year. The final winner was to be announced on Thursday. The top place winning organization would receive $30,000.

Kay

Guess what? The Healing Place won! Late Friday afternoon, after some of the hub-bub had subsided, Loretta and I went to their building to have a tour and a short visit with Kay. It's a wonderful facility, not too small or large. I think she said they served 400 families last year.

Kay

With a laugh, Kay said they were planning to take the display check to the bank to deposit, and would play dumb about knowing it wasn't the real check.

Tomorrow, more plants, I think. For sure, I'm not allowing any more snow pictures this season!

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the photos! My southern friends are all fantastic and I am so glad you have gotten to know so many of them in our trips to move boxes.

Ann said...

Looks like a good time. Awesome that the healing place won.
I did notice the sweater. I looked at the picture before I read and thought to myself "Hey, Loretta is wearing her sweater" :)

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Sounds like such a wonderful time with wonderful people. And green things! Lucky you.

Secondary Roads said...

What fabulous friends! You seem to be a magnet for the best things in life.

Unknown said...

You look as though you have had an absolutely marvellous time with some wonderful people. They say that a picture tells a thousand words, it must be true as you have managed to capture so much in your photographs.

Unknown said...

You've certainly had a great trip with super people.

Nancy looks a bit like an American friend of mine whom I'm waiting to hear from. (She hasn't responded to my messages for about 6 months, which is rather worrying, although I know she is always busy.)

vanilla said...

Excellent! Time well-spent with good people.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like an awesome organization!

RNSANE said...

I do love the South, though I have lived far from it most of my life. It was so good to return for a whole month in January, getting to Florida, Georgia and Louisiana. I have family and so many wonderful friends there and nursing school memories, as well. It's true that you can't beat the hospitality.

How nice that the Healing Place won that much needed money!!!