Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Henbit Deadnettle

 
Here's a little alien beauty. I got good pictures of it in Alabama, but it grows pretty much everywhere in the East.

henbit deadnettle

Yes, this is closely related to the deadnettle you plant in your gardens. This is Lamium amplexicaule. It's a dainty little thing. The plants are about 8 inches tall and each blossom is maybe a half inch long. It will carpet whole lawns or fields in spring.

henbit deadnettle

But look closely. It's gorgeous! And the leaves are supposedly edible. I'll have to try that when (and if) we ever get spring here.

henbit deadnettle

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


6 comments:

jeanlivingsimple said...

Since I live in Georgia, I thought I would recognize this plant but I don't. It is very pretty.

Duxbury Ramblers said...

It's one that we see, it thrives down in our southern counties, next time I see it I will try it for taste :)

Ann said...

it is pretty. It does look like the stuff that grows throughout my yard

Unknown said...

Sweet little plant. Not one I am familiar with.

vanilla said...

That is a beautiful, if tiny, flower. Wouldn't occur to me to eat it,though.

RNSANE said...

I love anything purple ( and
yellow ). It is really a lovely little flower.