Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

He Didn't Know Who He was Dealing With

 
Out working today. Driving down a county road. A man coming the other way sticks his arm out the window and flags me down.

"You can't get through," he says. "There's a big tree down across the road."

"OK, thanks," I reply.

But I had to go look. Why? Because there was no where to turn around? Because.... (sheepish grin) Because it's what I do...

tree across road

That's not such a big tree. I have my 16" bow saw in the car.

A few minutes later, back of car in this picture.

tree across road

Problem solved.

See More Than I Bargained For
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


11 comments:

Lin said...

I love you, Sharkey. :) You are a "can do" sorta gal. I'd like to think I am too--although I don't carry a bow saw in my car.

Went to a sub sandwich place this weekend. When I went to use the restroom, I noticed the water was too high in the toilet, so I grabbed the plunger sitting there and went to town. (It was just clear water) An employee walked in and nearly fell over when she saw what I was doing. "I'm a mom...we do what needs to be done" I said. I didn't fix it, but I tried. (They had a bigger plumbing issue)

My family thinks I'm nuts...I just think "somebody's gotta do it."

The Furry Gnome said...

What a self-reliant lady!

John Sealander said...

This post made me smile. Those two pictures sum you up pretty well. It looks like a lot of work, but I bet it was easier than putting all those new shingles on the roof...

Unknown said...

My grandmother used to stop to pull weeds out of flower beds she walked by...even ones that weren't hers.

Ann said...

Again you amaze me. I'm reminded of a line from a Helen Reddy Song. I am woman hear me roar. It's a shame the guy who flagged you down wasn't there to watch you clear that road...lol

john bain said...

I feel proud of you. I hope you took some home for the fire.

vanilla said...

You are a world's wonder; or at the very least, God's gift to Michigan.

Secondary Roads said...

One should never underestimate the power of a determined woman. Especially one with a 16-inch bow saw.

Unknown said...

Well done, Joan. Of course I wouldn't expect anything else from you.

Sharkbytes said...

Lin- yes, toilet innards are not really too mysterious.

Stew- gotta be

John- it was really easy

Gayle- I've been known to do this, but I try to refrain

Ann- Roooaaaaarrrrrr

John- no fires at my house

vanilla- depends on who you ask

Chuck- I think you live with one too... a determined woman (don't know about the bow saw)

Jean- I have that reputation to uphold

Secondary Roads said...

Yes, I do. And I'm glad.