Entries to Win Afghan


If you like my books, essays, etc. you might want to put your name on this private email list (no spam ever) for advance notices, coupons, and occasional freebies. Tell your friends too! Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Previous gifts include a short story, a poem and a half-off coupon for the newest book. Sign up, and don't miss out!"
Winners are: 3rd place- e-book of your choice: Wendy Nystrom. 2nd place- book of your choice, paper or e-book: Sue Ann Crawford. Winner of the afghan: Elaine Hull.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Back Side of the Pond, Backside of the Neighborhood

 
Today I figured out how to get around to the back side of the little pond on the bypass where I saw the northern shoveler. It was pretty easy to get there, but I couldn't see much. The angle was too low and there was a lot more brush than it looked like from the other side.

pond

So I followed a deer trail of sorts around the back side. It was the kind of trail that a deer would like if it wanted to scratch a thousand ticks off its back. I got muddied and bloodied (neither too seriously).

deer trail

At the farthest corner I could finally see some open water, but of course, also the road and traffic and signs and all that stuff of civilization.

pond

I did actually scare up the wood ducks, but didn't get any pictures of them. Maybe another time when I can sit and wait for them to settle.

The best wildlife was this rabbit- frozen in hopes I wouldn't see it.

rabbit

I decided to cut around the edge of a field to head back to my house. In so doing, I passed three deer blinds, and the blue picnic table.

Well, one of those blinds must have had a motion sensor and video feed because before I was halfway across the field a truck came roaring down over the slight hill, and I got chewed out for being on private property. Ho hum, fine. I said I won't go back there again. I can't make myself feel very contrite for strolling across his narrow five acre patch a half-mile from my house.


if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

4 comments:

Ann said...

Looks nice and peaceful. I can understand not wanting people hunting on your land but to make a huge fuss over someone just out walking seems a little extreme.

Secondary Roads said...

An interesting walk--in more ways than one.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- I think I can go to the back of the pond again without getting in trouble. I'll go sometime with a situpon and a book and wait for the ducks.

Chuck- I tend to be rather naughty when it comes to walking across open private land.

Lin said...

Oh, you rebel-rouser! Well, at least you had a nice walk while it lasted.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin