Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, April 2, 2016

Spirit of the Woods Hike - April 2016

 
Wow! 21 people (and 3 dogs) showed up for the hike today. Only one group cancelled out because of the snow. As it turned out the weather was great and the woods were beautiful. The predicted wind didn't kick up till after I was safely home, and the temperature was just above freezing.

hikers

We hiked the North Country Trail from 76th St to 96th St, which is the section through Sterling Marsh. The water was high, and we really appreciated the boardwalks. There were still some soggy spots, but before the boardwalks you never would have been able to walk this section in spring without getting totally wet feet.

You've seen Jenks Creek in summer. It was really pretty today with the fresh and clingy snow.

Jenks Creek

The busiest hiker, by far, was and always is Lily the beagle. She is a beagle's beagle and has to explore every hole and log and nook and cranny. However, I actually managed to catch her without her nose poked into somewhere.

beagle

At this time of year, Sterling Marsh is really a pond. This piece has some open water all year, but you'll only see it like this in spring. This is the location of the interesting curled reeds.

Sterling Marsh

We've had a number of new people at our recent hikes, which is a lot of fun. It's great to make new friends who enjoy hiking. With such a large group we quickly broke into smaller confabs. I ended up in the rear because the group took off gung-ho while I was still putting my tripod away. That was fine. I chatted with Bob and Patti (Lily's humans), which was nice because I don't see them too often. We caught up with these guys who were getting acquainted.

hikers

I had to try an artsy shot, right? The shallow water made great reflections.

reflection

Miles toward the 100-mile challenge added, 4.1. Good times? Immeasurable. Ability to stay awake any longer when I got home? None.


See Hiking in Hemlock Lace
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


5 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

I've always thought your get togethers like this would be extremely fun. I've never hiked with more than a couple of other people. Usually I'm alone. I like your pictures of this as well. I really miss nature in Michigan.

Ann said...

Looks like a cold day but sounds like lots of fun. I like your artsy shot.

The Furry Gnome said...

I like the 'Spirit of the Woods' name for these hikes. Lotsa people!

Mike said...

Very beautiful! Sounds like a fun time!

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Ratty- you would have liked it.

Ann- thanks! It wasn't too cold.

Stew- Way too many groups here are named 'spirit of the woods.' It's a loose translation of the word Manistee (as in the National Forest and the city). I like it, but it's led to a lot of confusion with the Conservation Club, the Music Club, and the Garden Club of the same name.

Mike- we have great hikes! Lots of camaraderie.