Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Late Winter Hike Around Bowman Lake

 
One of my favorite local hikes is anywhere around Bowman Lake, a small glacial kettle hole. My expectations for scenery were low because this is an icky-looking time of year. But this place even manages to look great on one of these gray and brown days.

Bowman Lake

The first thing I noticed as I began to walk closer was the interactive vertical lines of tree, reflection and cattail.

Bowman Lake

Then, my eye was drawn to the opposite bank with its little hill.

Bowman Lake

Even the angled shadows on the snow reflected so there is a chevron pattern imposed on the verticals.

Bowman Lake

First I walked around the lake. Here's just a general view from the back side.

Bowman Lake

I hiked for an hour and got a REALLY good workout. The snow wasn't deep enough to call the walking "postholing," but it was soft and mushy, and anyone watching would have thought I was drunk. Each step ended up at a different angle.

Here's my favorite picture of the day. Even though it's similar to one above, in this one the tree lines are so straight, and with the melting spots at their bases, it looks as if they are pins threaded through buttonholes to stitch the shoreline to the water.

Bowman Lake

Did I have a good time? What do you think?

smiley face

After I walked around the lake I followed an old woods road for a while, and took some interesting close-up shots. Maybe tomorrow you'll see those.

See Snowshoe Outing with SPW
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


4 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

Looks like a wonderful place. Love that picture of the shadows down the slope.

Rick (Ratty) said...

It really does look great there. The time of year maybe even enhances that. I have to say I really miss the natural features of Michigan. It's so much different here in the western part of Iowa. Iowa just feels like home to me, but nothing can beat the nature of Michigan. Seeing your pictures always reminds me of that.

Ann said...

beautiful shots. They have a very calming effect. Love the smiley face log

Secondary Roads said...

The button holes are very interesting. Okay, so are all the others. It's the next best thing to actually being there.