Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, November 2, 2023

Sterling Marsh Shenanigans


This morning, I went out to Sterling Marsh on the North Country Trail. The marsh is up to some serious trickery! There is no water in it at all. That mud strip you can see is usually open water, and often, the water comes to the edge of the snow in this picture! Not that I get there EVERY fall, but I think I've only seen it dry one other time.
Sterling Marsh


They have had a little more snow than at my house, covering the boardwalks. The oak leaves made a lovely mosaic.
oak leaves on snow


Was I there just to take a hike? No. The NCTA is capitalizing on my recent hike of the whole trail to hopefully boost year-end giving. So I was there with Paul Kogelschatz, the Fund Raising Coordinator, to shoot some video.
man with camera on tripod


They have also asked me to do a Zoom meeting on Nov 28, Giving Tuesday. Stay tuned for how to get in on that chat time if you are interested.

The rest of the shenanigans were provided by a flock of turkeys who couldn't decide whether to cross the road.
wild turkeys


Actually, they had decided to cross the road, but couldn't decide which side they wanted to be on. Result- the were crossing and re-crossing the road both when I went to Sterling Marsh, and when I came home. But no turkeys were harmed in the snapping of these pictures.
wild turkeys


I took myself out to lunch at the Cardinal Restaurant in Custer. It looks like that's a business that might survive at that location. I'm glad. The tiny towns need all the help they can get. The next one east, Walhalla, has a huge new building. I'm not sure what that is going to be, but it has tall garage doors, so perhaps some kind of service place. It will join the Post Office, a Dollar General, a bar, and a shed sales place as the town's businesses. OK, I guess there's a plumber there too.

I edited in the afternoon.

North Country Trail, Jenks Rd to Sterling Marsh and back, 3 miles

See Living the Dream

2 comments:

The Oceanside Animals said...

Java Bean: "Ayyy, those turkeys are making a mockery of the old 'Why did the turkey cross the road?' question!"
Lulu: "Maybe because it's actually 'why did the CHICKEN cross the road?'"
Java Bean: "Turkey, chicken ... it's all poultry, sí?"
Lulu: "Fair enough."

Sharkbytes said...

Lulu and Java- they all taste like chicken, right!?