Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, November 3, 2023

The Garden Moves Inside


I did stuff today, but not much worth pictures. Most notably, Cathy and I put up some of the final ceiling foam in the trailer, but we ran out of glue, so the last piece is not up. Can't call that job finished yet.

Remember the gazania that still wanted to bloom? It's not dead yet, and the flower still isn't open, so I brought it inside! It now has two buds. It would really be lovely if I got some post-season color from it.
gazania


Also, the one houseplant I wanted back (after I gave them all away before the big hike) came home today. I can't believe I haven't shown you this one in its grown-up state before, but I can't find the post if I did. I bought this one as a tiny baby. See the very last picture from this 2012 post. And it's now planted in a very pretty pot given to me by David, my "extra" kid. At first, I thought I was doing something wrong with it because it started to spread and get leggy, but then I saw a mature one at another flower show and realized it was doing what it is supposed to. Monica has taken wonderful care of it, and here it is today. Aloe juvenna aka Aloe squarossa.
Aloe squarossa


And I had bought a couple of non-hardy plants as rock garden fillers. I'm not showing you those right now because they are a bit unhappy and beat up. But I'll see if they survive and look nice to put out again in the spring.

However, I will show you this little experiment. Also growing in a couple of the pots were sprouts of what I think is going to be one of the Wandering Jew plants. I've never had one, so this might be fun. Anyway, I stuck them in this big pot, optimistically thinking they might spread all over and look great by next year. We'll see.


Perhaps the most significant thing I did today was to write over 1100 words in Vacation from Dead Mule Swamp. I've written a litte on some previous days too. Total so far is 4070. The days I make good progress on that are great, but it doesn't lend itself to pictures. I also edited and put some garden things away.

See The Gazania on Monday

3 comments:

Ann said...

Those plants are looking good. I'm horrible with house plants. I have two and I think one is dead now. The other is hanging on by a thread.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- well, remember, I got rid of all mine. Now I have some to tend over the winter. We will see.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Our Mama used to bring some plants inside in the winter, but she doesn't anymore. Something about a cat who likes to eat plants. CHAPLIN."
Chaplin: "What?"
Lulu: "So now most of the plants go into the 'Hillbilly Greenhouse' on the patio and a few of them might go in the garage where no cats can get to them. CHAPLIN."
Chaplin: "Why do you keep saying my name?"