Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Blue Spine

 

blue spine fungus


Remember that line of fungus from two days ago? The picture above is a closer view of one of the same kind. It was on the other side of the trail. Does it look blue to you? It did to me too. That's an unusual color for a mushroom/fungus, so I thought it might be easy to ID. Yet, I didn't want to get my hopes up because I'm not very good with mushroom identification. I mostly look at pictures in the books.

blue spine fungus


Here it is again. You can see that it has that blue velvety top, no gills, a shape like a funnel, and a short stalk. So I went hunting in the books. I found the exact match! It's the Blue Spine, Hydnellum caeruleum. Much to my surprise, it's a "tooth fungus." You would think that I would take time to look more closely at these fungi, right. But I don't seem to. I always hate to pluck, cut, break them up, lest someone else not get to enjoy them. Actually this is a silly attitude when it comes to fungi. It's not quite the same as picking wildflowers. If I am so concerned, I could look for one that's farther from the trail. Well, back to the identification.

blue spine fungus


A tooth fungus has teeth that hang down from the underside. All the ones that I knew about before this are big globs of things that hang on trees. Maybe I'll find my pics and show you some another day. But, I discovered that one of my pictures has a good enough focus to verify the teeth.

blue spine fungus

You can really see the teeth where that hole has been knocked in the body. It's labeled as inedible, but not poisonous, whatever that means. Probably tough and tasteless.



5 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

Thanks. I've never seen one like that before.

rainfield61 said...

I have not seen a blue one before. Interesting.

Ann said...

I've never seen one of those. That second one it almost looks like a cupcake with blue frosting...lol Very interesting with the teeth.

spinninglovelydays said...

I had no idea they were blue. And what a great attitude about leaving them alone so others who happen by can also enjoy them. I don't think many would be so thoughtful. :)

Sharkbytes said...

Chuck- I've seen them a lot, but never looked them up.

rainfield- I don't know what other places in the world they grow.

Ann- "a cupcake" - I like it! It really does look like that.

Ivy- there aren't very many blue ones. A few are purple. It's kind of silly with mushrooms, because the animals knock them over, slugs eat them, etc.